Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

cat d6b broken track link

jjc ยท 2010-05-13 23:56

I have this broken track link any tips on how to fix? welding or buy a new one? Is there a good place to get used cat parts for a 1960's cat d6b dozer? What are my options for pressing the pin in and out? thanks

Replies12
  1. #1surfer-joe2010-05-14 00:01

    Used link might be best. Check with Holt Tractor, or maybe Quinn down in Selma or Bakersfield. Welding won't hold hardly a minute. Quinn runs a large used parts operation, so does Holt. Give them a shout.

  2. #2jjc2010-05-14 00:05

    thanks for the quick reply

  3. #3QuickTrax2010-05-14 07:58

    I would call a local track shop and buy two new links, 1 bushing, and two master pins. I would cut your bad section out with a torch. New parts should run around 60-70 dollars. They will probably press the links onto a bushing for you. Your only other option would be short tracking your machine if your tracks are wore out enough. Good luck, Quicktrax

  4. #4Bigstevex42010-05-14 17:12

    QUIKTRAX had it punch out 2 pins press the link together then install link with pins its pretty common to replace a broken link or like he said if there wore enough just take out the broken one and no it wont pull yo one side with a shorter track.

  5. #5jjc2010-05-14 23:45

    Thanks for the replies! I talked to my local cat dealer and I'm going buy two replacement link sections which is best bet instead of trying to mickey mouse it back together. The only other obstacle is to figure out how to have the pins pressed?

  6. #6ronnie2010-05-16 09:44

    off subject that a very clean old tractor i enjoy seeing tractor that have been taken care of

  7. #7Buckethead2010-05-16 13:46

    The D6B is one of my favorite machines.

  8. #8ronnie2010-05-17 20:33

    find your master link and break down the trackwalk it back off the track until it lays flat on the ground heat the rail up with a rose bud drive the pins out of that link get you a new link,pins and bushinsput the pins in the freezer so the ywill srink drive them in real quick put the track back together and your in business it sounds harder than it is

  9. #9yanyan2011-07-25 13:29

    snacky track link on Excavator hai...any body know why track link can snacky?

  10. #10OldandWorn2011-07-25 15:18

    Oh....I dunno. I guess it depends on how hungry I am.

  11. #11tctractors2011-07-25 15:30

    Cat and any Track shop do a link repair kit, 2 links pressed to a short or cut down bush with 2 master pins with seals(Steel washers) and spacers, total of 8 seals and 4 spacers, you will have to cut down the forward bush in the chain, ( the next link towards the idler) this bush has to be flush with the outside face of the links, the pins will beat in with a few good shots with a hammer, that is master pins I might add, the link and pins that are damaged will easily cut out with a torch, even the 2 stumps left in the link towards the sprocket, just burn out the centre and let them cool, then tap out with a standard hand hammer, you might need to grind down the link hight to match your track chain???, I did some bigish links the other day (see Shop Talk) that needed a bit more than a smack off a hammer, dont try saving the standard pins as master links have a reduced area in the bush section to help things along.

  12. #12yanyan2011-07-25 16:26

    Hi Dunno Thanks for your joke...