Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat d6c blade tilt.

Bearded logger · 2025-09-20 18:29

I have a d6c manual angle power tilt. It does not have factory tilt cylinders and I've had to move the mounts back on the arms to get the blade pitched right. It doesn't tilt the blade as far now. How much tilt is acceptable with a 12' blade?

Replies7
  1. #1Tones2025-09-20 19:04

    You won't get much movement with only 1 cylinder on an angle blade, they require 2 cylinders that are plumbed to work in opposite directions, 1 retracts as the other extends at the same time.

  2. #2Bearded logger2025-09-20 19:07

    It has two on it now.

  3. #3Tones2025-09-20 19:29

    I helped fit tilt rams on a new D4e so I'm really scratching the remember bank here. I'm thinking the rams had a longer stroke than the ram for a bull blade. Others may confirm.

  4. #4Bearded logger2025-09-20 19:56

    The original problem was that they were too long and they dont have the check valves like the factory cylinders did so when you work the tilt they stoke out until they catch some resistance, which in turn pitched the blade too far out. The cylinders won't stay centered with each other. So I cut the mounts loose and backed them up to pitch the blade right. I believe if I used a cylinder of a 4 way blade it wouldn't stroke enough to tilt the blade. Currently it will tilt about 16-18 inches.

  5. #5Bearded logger2025-09-20 19:57

    The original problem was that they were too long and they dont have the check valves like the factory cylinders did so when you work the tilt they stoke out until they catch some resistance, which in turn pitched the blade too far out. The cylinders won't stay centered with each other. So I cut the mounts loose and backed them up to pitch the blade right. I believe if I used a cylinder of a 4 way blade it wouldn't stroke enough to tilt the blade. Currently it will tilt about 16-18

  6. #6Glum2025-09-21 14:06

    To my mind, moving the mounts back shouldn't affect the amount of tilt you have, as the cylinder stroke is the same. It should just change the pitch of the blade. I guess it comes down to how much tilt you want or need. Those cylinders would tilt far beyond a factory set up by the looks of things. Edit to add that the cylinders won't stay centered with each other if they are just connected to move in opposite direction. Factory setup has one cylinder driving the other, ie. Oil from the head end of the extending cylinder goes into the head end of the retracting cylinder so that they have exactly the same movement but in opposite directions.

  7. #7D5Dan2025-09-23 08:40

    I think Glum is on to something…looking at the center mount section of your blade- can that really rotate/tilt the amount your looking for?? Might be best to step back a moment and ask if you have a blade serial number?? Usually found on back of blade on right side. Not long ago it came to my attention CAT will have a separate parts book for various blades/types…for mine, I could then see factory mounts/pivots vs modified/missing… Certainly not saying the tilt can’t be done, but given the C-frame you’re starting with might max out on tilt, then forces the blade to pivot (forward) instead. I should add, my blade has one cylinder only (on the left side)…and has half the stroke as the rams you’re installing…maybe removing the second ram (and the plumbing) will get you some more tilt (and less complications)?? Keep the pics/measurements coming along, someone on HEF will spot the fix!!