I have seen threads asking what modern fluids are compatible with this machine but they were more confusing than useful. Can I use Delo 400 15w40 for the engine and hydraulic? In my area the temperature usually ranges from 30-95F. Can I use regular Prestone for antifreeze or does it need something special?
Regular green antifreeze... I've been using case IH 15-40 in engine and Case IH Hy-Tran in hydraulic system because that's what I keep for farm tractors. Don't think I'd use engine oil in hydraulic system. I would think any high quality brands would be ok. Transmission oil I use the Cat TDTO 30 wt, which is what Cat recommends. Cat recommends TDTO 50 for final drives but most people seem to use 90wt gear oil, which is what is in mine.
TDTO 50 (or an SAE 50 meeting Cat TO-4 spec) is recommended for final drives because the EP additives in all gear oils have been known to attack the silicone toric rings in Duo-Cone seals. TDTO 30 (or SAE 30 TO-4) will work fine in the transmission. Any good-quality SAE 10W hydraulic oil in the hydraulic system. Engine oil I'll pass on a recommendation. The older engines tend to like different formulations from today's kit.
Good to know Nice... don't need any leaking finals.
Maybe that explains why I have leaking finals. Agreed, good to know. Other threads were talking about using the same fluid in the engine or hydraulic. That didn't sound right to me.
The idea of engine oil in hydraulics or "on size fits all" was from way back in the day 40 or so years ago where it was flavour of the month to keep one barrel of oil on site and throw it in everything. A bit like Universal Tractor Fluid in the farming sector if you will. Manufacturers bent over backwards to prove that one fluid, or at most two, could do everything on a machine. A lot of it involved serious compromises. Today I'd like to think we are a little more enlightened about lubricants.