Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Caterpillar 56 Winch on D6C Not Working

NWForest · 2019-08-26 21:51

This winch is stuck in lock and is not responsive at all. It was that way since I got it and the previous owner said it didn't work while he had it. He didn't have use for it so never looked into it. Does anyone have an idea where to start diagnosing this problem? I picked this machine up cheap and will be taking it into an equipment repair shop eventually to have some other problems fixed. Before I put out the cash for the pros to look at it, I want to make sure this isn't something I may be able to fix without getting too deep into it.

Replies3
  1. #1Old Magnet2019-08-26 22:52

    10 items to check (at least) 1.Control linkage not correctly adjusted or has failed 2.Failure of hydraulic pump or line problems 3.Failure of the power take-off shaft or shaft coupling 4.Input clutch discs and plates are worn 5.Mechanical failure of transfer gears from input clutch 6.Mechanical failure of bevel gear or pinion 7.Mechanical failure of one or more drum drive gears 8.Directional clutches do not release 9.Low pressure to the input clutch due to failure of one or more seals. 10.Low pressure of the control system.

  2. #2Vetech632019-08-27 07:12

    Spend the money to get a service manual on your winch...…...……...it may save you BIG $$$.

  3. #3NWForest2019-08-28 01:09

    Seems to be a common theme on here, get the manuals. Maybe I should take that advice seriously.