Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

cat d6c engine cyc liner

keith-50 ยท 2013-12-18 11:37

Performing inframe over haul on my d333c engine. # 4 cyc liner protrusion is at .008 above block, the procedure in books says to bolt cross bar on top of liner and torque 50 ft pounds, but I do not have bar , so I bolted liner down on two corners with bolt and large washer. Is that too tall or will that height be okay. thanks keith also should I put any copper coat on head gasket.

Replies4
  1. #1Nige2013-12-18 12:27

    I'm having a great deal of diffculty imagining how a circular cylinder liner gets bolted down at 2 corners ....... And I'm sure one of our resident D300-series engine experts will be along soon and give you a "how to" procedure if you don't have the correct bar.

  2. #2Old Magnet2013-12-18 12:36

    Using existing studs, nuts and washers is ok for hold down but you are a little high. Spec is 0.0020 to 0.0056" Copper coat is ok but I prefer to use the Permatex-300

  3. #3Bob/Ont2013-12-18 13:34

    You need those Round Square liners Nige, easier to find cubic inches of engine too. Yes that is the way many liners are clamped down. The method is to use a steel washer on top and a fiber washer under it, use 4. liner projection should be within 0.002 around each liner and with in 0.004 over the head. Later Bob

  4. #4d9gdon2013-12-18 16:15

    You don't have the o-rings fitted to the liners yet do you? You can try move it to another cylinder to see if you can get closer to spec. I've got the book on the procedure if you need some scans.