Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

komatsu d21 engine swap

tlogan ยท 2013-12-17 19:08

Just wondering if anyone has put a d31 engine in a d21. sure would like to have more power, any ideas on what engine would work.

Replies6
  1. #1tlogan2013-12-19 18:00

    I guess I'm the only one who thinks a 70hp D-21 is a good idea...

  2. #2apm2013-12-20 09:24

    My guess is that you'd never maintain enough traction to use the extra horsepower. If you try it, be sure and post updates. Greg

  3. #3tlogan2013-12-20 10:02

    You might be right, but there are tracked skid steer's that have 70+ hp and weigh around 9000. Thanks for the reply. Tim

  4. #4apm2013-12-20 10:10

    I'm no expert, but I'd think the horsepower on a skid steer is as much devoted to speed as it is to traction. Tracked skid steers at 9000 lbs. run out of traction, but travel much faster than dozers. Greg

  5. #5wilko2013-12-20 10:15

    Unless the trans and final drives are overbuilt on the D21 you might be headed for a world of hurt.

  6. #6illinoisboy2013-12-21 20:29

    I have a d20,and the 40 horse in it seldom lacks power. I always lose traction first. I think even if you could hook up traction wise, your steering clutches, finals, etc, just my thoughts, but I would love to see ifit works for you!!:drinkup