I have been using a used D6H that runs great but will need steering brake clutch assemblies sooner than later . japanese writing only on dash panel so this is a gray market dozer . Two different local mechanics do not want to work on it , they say the parts sold in USA probably will not work. Is there a reliable parts source? How can we be sure the USA parts will not work? Any suggestions will be appreciated.
We have found that parts have been avaiable to us but parts books are not. The problem we have is identification of the parts. Most cat parts have the part numbers stamped on the old part which has always helped.
What's your serial number?
D6H High track Ser # 8FC00518 So it may help to get parts out and get parts numbers off them for ordering? There is a company called Equipment Direct in Alaska that specializes in selling lower priced Gray market machines imported from Japan. They claim to be able to get parts but have not returned my emails , they want to sell a tractor most likely.
I did a quick check on the plates and disks for the steering clutches, all have availability in the U.S. Doesn't look like anything crazy on the surface. J
Thanks , that sounds great . Are you a machanic? Wish I was closer to GA . I am having trouble getting one interested in this job. The booming oil business here gives all the work they need and they can pick their jobs. Do you assume that my local caterpillar company will be able to order in the parts? Or do you have a gray market source? Warren Cat here has a bad reputation for taking the machine apart and it sits for weeks and endless add ons so I am advised to try to get an independent mechanic to do it .
Is your tractor direct drive or powershift..?
I have bought several Cat. so called gray market machines.I never had a problem getting parts within 23 hrs.The biggest problem is the attitude of the parts people.Generally all cat eq. for the world is made the same.A few items might be differant but I have never found that to be any problem.
It is a direct drive , both left and right levers are on left side of seat , not on dash . One of the mechanics that looked at it thought it might have adjustments on top of trans housing for the brake pads but there are none.
Caterpillar lists spare parts for D6H series 8FC direct drive on their Service Information system, but only for Serial Numbers around 5000-Up. I guess the Japanese-built machine ought to be similar if not identical to it's US counterpart.
Thanks for the information , I will start researching this with my local cat parts
I cannot imagine that basic machine parts (not including the engine in this, there may be some Mitsubishi-built engines around that are not in the Parts Book. I've seen this before in excavators) are any different whether the parts were manufactuerd in Japan, Europe, the US, or anywhere else for that matter.