Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

TD20B Steering Problems

Maine HD6B Dude ยท 2012-03-19 18:26

I purchased a 1965 TD20B recently and will work on the steering problems this spring. You have to pull back the steering levers all the way to try to get some steering ability. I wonder if the brake bands are the first thing to suspect as the cause. Having to pull the steering levers so far back leads me to believe that there is a lot of wear someplace. I have looked at the drive discs from the inspection covers, but can't see anything obvious. Maine Hd6b Dude

Replies4
  1. #1wrwtexan2012-03-20 00:10

    I have a '73 20B which had/has the same problem. If it is a B, a brake caliper holds the planetary ring which holds the planetary gears allowing power transfer. The brakes are just plain Ausco ball and ramp disc type. Not enough for a crawler as opposed to band brakes! These machines do not drift steer like a Cat very well. I have to use steering brakes which don't work well. Start out by checking how soon the ring gear is released, then check your brake takeup adjustment. If they are still functional, take the slack out of the pull cable. They do not tolerate much wear on the lined discs before they won't hold. Mine were badly worn and cupped. Had a friend with a laser cutter make new separators and found some good used discs (saved a pile of $. Also, check hydraulic booster pressure to make sure it is assisting. I got fed up with the unified clutch and brake lever and trying to get them adjusted together and with some mods, made it a lever and pedal machine with the booster pulling the brakes. Few words of advice; don't slip them as it means pulling the whole final off to get too them (stab and release), and keep your caliper springs adjusted up tight as they will slip when re-engaged under load. Local aftermarket dealer told me engine parts are no longer made for the DT 429 engine so if it goes down, figure on a repower or cutting torch. I can't wait to unload mine and get a Cat D6B or C. Dug a pool last fall and came to hate the machine.

  2. #2Maine HD6B Dude2012-03-26 01:36

    Good Day in Texas, Great info on the TD20B dozer. I will try the brake adjustment first, but feel the previous owner had worn them beyond adjustment. One side is not steering at all, so that may be past adjustments. I will ask more questions when the time comes. Thanks again for the valuable info. My old AC dozer steering was easy to fix from the top. HD6B Dude

  3. #3malcolm2012-03-27 01:53

    HI first go back to basics pull both levers back half way and the machine should loose drive and stop , do this test and tell me the results and we will go from there - regards Malcolm

  4. #4Maine HD6B Dude2012-03-28 15:18

    Hello Malcolm, Thanks for the reply. I am temporarily out of state on a job and will not be able to test the declutching of my TD20B until May. That makes a lot of sense to check the release of power to each track before getting to the brakes. HD6B Dude