Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JD 350 one side won’t steer

materthegreater · 2024-09-22 19:24

I know very little about this machine, a friend asked if I could help figure out what's going on with it. He said the left side turns fine, but the right side will only go straight forward or backward.

Replies7
  1. #1Labparamour2024-09-22 22:55

    I had a Deere 450B. Not sure if 350 similar. Are the steering clutches and brakes adjusted? On mine- Steering levers, pulled part way back, disengage clutch, pulling further applies brake. If machine stops pulling both levers part way- both clutches disengaging. If there’s no brake on the right, left side will drive machine forward. If going uphill or pulling a load, will machine steer to right? If so, I’d say brake on right not adjusted correctly or bad.

  2. #2Diesel Dave2024-09-22 23:21

    I agree with Labparamour, sounds like the right side brake needs adjustment Find procedure from the Operators manual below. .

  3. #3materthegreater2024-09-23 07:41

    Thanks guys, I'll pass this info along to him. He just got the machine and the seller told him everything worked... I guess he should have done a little more testing before he bought it!

  4. #4Welder Dave2024-09-23 13:58

    I have a serial number chart for 350C's but not straight 350's so don't know if serial numbers are done the same way. The machine is a 1979 if it's a 350C. 350C's are wet clutches and brakes. Supposed to be self adjusting but that doesn't always work.

  5. #5Diesel Dave2024-09-23 14:59

    Based on the serial tag info (T4F3D) that the OP supplied , the machine is a 350 dozer with diesel engine and reverser.

  6. #6Welder Dave2024-09-23 18:10

    Looks like an older straight 350 then. JD must have gone to a different numbering system on the C models.

  7. #7materthegreater2024-12-13 22:40

    I forgot to update this. When I talked to him recently, he said it works fine at higher rpms. I think he was running it at idle when he first asked me about it.