Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat D6N CMS & transmission indicator

goober425 ยท 2019-11-26 22:07

Ok I'm tired of beating my head against the wall. I replaced the CMS and transmission indicator on my D6N. Now the gauges don't work but they sweep when self checking. the transmission gear indicator just shows ******** on the display. is there an initialization I need to do?

Replies6
  1. #1Nige2019-11-27 04:32

    So are we...........when posts asking for help contain little or no information. There are no less than 26 models of D6N. In the absence of a crystal ball let's start with a few questions. Machine Serial Number..? What Part Number of CMS did you remove.? What Part Number of CMS did you install.?

  2. #2kshansen2019-11-27 07:56

    But it's Yellow with a big C on the side that should be enough! Sorry for the rather snide remark goober425, but as they say, "garbage in garbage out" and I woke up with a headache this morning so might be a little short tempered!

  3. #3goober4252019-11-27 10:28

    Haha No worries. I was irritated last night so I accept the beating haha D6N S/N: CAT00D6NJALY00356 New Part numbers: Transmission indicator: 223-2455.00 CMS: 2524501-01 Old parts: Quad Gauges: 166-9628 Unfortunately I don't have the old part numbers that came out of the machine as im picking up where someone left off.

  4. #4Nige2019-11-27 12:33

    OK, we've been here before........... the key Part Number in all of that is the one for the new CMS Panel - 252-4501. That number is an upgrade from the former 196-4681 CMS Panel. In the former panel "initializing" a replacement panel was simple, you pulled the Harness Code Plug next to the Service Tool Connector in the cab before powering up. After powering up for 30 seconds and down again, refit the Harness Code Plug. Power up again and you were good to go. 252-4501 is what's known as EMS-III. It has to be flashed with software using ET. I'm having difficulty finding the Part Number of the software for ALY00356 though. Lots of software Part numbers for D5M, D6R, D7R, etc, but nothing for D6N. There is a Service Mag that covers the update. "The EMS III panel is a drop in replacement device that needs software uploaded for the hardware. This improved EMS III is flashed with appropriate software part numbers that are available for download from SIS Web, and this software is not available through parts department." All I can suggest is that you contact your local dealer and ask them what Part Number of software should be flashed into the EMS for this tractor. Unless you can get the tractor to their shop somehow it looks like a field service visit is the only option. Sorry that's the best I can do.

  5. #5goober4252019-11-27 12:48

    Thank you Nige. I was hoping that was not the case but it is what it is.

  6. #6Nige2019-11-27 13:19

    TBH the last time this happened (on a D6R IIRC) until I investigated I was convinced that a new EMS Panel could be initialized on the machine - shows how long it is since i actually did one. I'm hoping that initializing the EMS should be all you need to do. Maybe it might be worth your while asking the dealer if one of their techs has a "bypass harness" that lets them flash modules in their shop - see below, the ET Connector is #1. That would remove the need to either get the machine to them or them to the machine. The diagram below came from Cat Special instruction REHS7365 and is the same for any machine using the 252-4501 Panel.