Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Rq info on cat D3

mbavers ยท 2019-11-28 14:19

A friend has one for sale and I cannot find specs anywhere. It is a 2003, so I guess it is a G model. It has wide pads, and hydrostatic drive, of course. I want to compare it to my Deere 450B. What I'd like to know is: 1: Weight? 2: Track ground pressure? 3: How important are snow holes in the pads (my 450 has them, the Cat does not)? Any info would be appreciated, as all my experience is with Deere and Case.

Replies4
  1. #1Nige2019-11-28 14:39

    Do you have a Serial number for the tractor.? With that the exact specs would be easy to find.

  2. #2mbavers2019-11-28 14:46

    No, and I don't want to bother him with my endless questions. I think any D3 of that year with wide pads would have the same specs.

  3. #3Nige2019-11-28 15:41

    There are about 30 different models of D3.......... and four versions of D3G, which this may or may not be. Unfortunately "Year" means nothing for yellow iron. A Serial Number reveals everything. FYI a lot of the time when people post up Serial Numbers it is found that the machine in question was manufactured maybe a year or two different from when they thought it was - just saying. Sorry I can't help you more than that.

  4. #4mbavers2019-11-28 17:46

    Yeah, I'm beginning to see what you mean. I've found any number of weights for the Cat D3, ranging from about 16,000 lbs up to over 30,000 lbs (that sounds ridiculous). I've also found weights for my Deere 450B ranging from just under 12,000 (which is what I assumed it was) up to over 16,000, which also sounds ridiculous.