Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat d7g strange noise

salyera ยท 2024-12-05 09:24

Cat d7g. Sometimes when turning ill get a sound sorta like a semi truck drum brake makes when stopping. Kinda that chatter squaling sound. Not always, just once in a while. Any ideas

Replies10
  1. #1Nige2024-12-05 09:36

    Serial Number.? What have you checked so far.? Both sides or just one.? When you apply the brake or just pull on the lever enough to release the steering clutch.? When were the brakes last adjusted.?

  2. #2salyera2024-12-05 10:44

    I believe one side, and I'd say just clutch. Recently got the dozer, haven't adjusted anything yet, need to order book

  3. #3Nige2024-12-05 12:05

    Does the noise come when you pull the steering lever half way or do you have to pull it all the way back before you hear anything.? Post a Serial Number and we can get you set up with the correct books.

  4. #4grandpa2024-12-05 22:17

    Check for a rock wedged between the inner side of the sprocket and housing.

  5. #5chidog2024-12-05 22:36

    Rock or roller? Chunk of steel where its not supposed to be?

  6. #6Shimmy12024-12-05 22:48

    Rocks can find their way into places they shouldn't, and can make noises that sound like failing parts. Worth a look. Sometimes useful to have a guy on each side listening. Probably not likely since it seems to be related to one direction, but I'd still look.

  7. #7salyera2024-12-06 10:19

    It's a 65v

  8. #8salyera2024-12-06 10:20

    65v serial.

  9. #9Nige2024-12-06 12:06

    So your manuals are as follows. With these Caterpillar Publication reference numbers it should be easier to search for them. Beware sellers on internet marketplaces that are offering used manuals for sale at higher than new prices......!!! Maintenance - SEBU5243 - $30 Operation - SEBU5473 - $30 Service - SENR7112 - $285 (Paper) $202 (CD) The appropriate Parts Manual for your tractor will depend on the machine Serial Number. There are four different groups for a 65V machine. Which one does your particlar tractor fall into.? 1. First built up to 3400. 2. 3401-4613. 3. 4614-5545. 4. 5546-Up

  10. #10chidog2024-12-09 01:52

    No problem when your an idiot like I was, I'd throttle it down, stick it in low gear, get off and walk around it listening for the problem area. Oh yeah very safe practice, did I say I was an idiot back in the day? Don't Cat skinners have 9 lives too? May not be wise even for an idiot to do that on a high drive one, it wasn't.