Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat D8H help with parts breakdown for blade hydraulics

Liebherrman · 2020-01-13 14:48

I don't know why my Caterpillar dealership sent me three different parts breakdown for the hydraulic tilt cylinder supply lines, and no other options for my 1969 D8H 46A dozer... my lines run up through the blade frame they could not find this parts breakdown Arrangement anywhere., does anybody have the parts breakdown? that would be great, I'm trying to get correct replaceable lines

Replies27
  1. #1Nige2020-01-13 15:34

    Give the guys a fighting chance - Try quoting the tractor Serial Number and the S/N for the hydraulic control. The latter will be on a plate on the hydraulic tank.

  2. #2Welder Dave2020-01-13 15:39

    Are they just hoses on your machine or steel lines as well?

  3. #3Liebherrman2020-01-13 16:30

    I did give them both numbers.

  4. #4Liebherrman2020-01-13 16:32

    It looks like there are steel lines that run up through the blade arm , but I didn't get in there yet, but there are rubber lines that connect that you can see in the picture, that snake around under the machine and up towards the control valve

  5. #5Bluox2020-01-13 16:35

    they should be hoses. You need to give them your blade serial number. Bob

  6. #6Welder Dave2020-01-13 16:36

    If you just need the hoses take 1 or both of them off and have new ones made.

  7. #7bccat2020-01-13 16:40

    Can you get the serial # off the blade?, also the blade tilt cyl is an attachment, it is important to get the proper length of hose, it is listed in the parts break down. I wonder if the hoses are original could be.Cat used metal straps with the part # on it wrapped around the hose.when I changed hoses I would put the strap on the new hoses. Yrs ago I got a call about low hydraulic oil on a D8K, couldn’t find any leak, added 5 gal, still no visible leak, but the level went, finally found a small leak at the tilt cyl hose mounting bracket on the blade arm, the blade arm was completely full of hyd oil. Come to find out the hoses were over half as long as they needed to be & were rubbing on the arm, was a mess. Learned something that day. Check the hoses for that metal strap

  8. #8Metalman 552020-01-13 20:16

    Diddo here...We had the same thing happen many years ago......hyd oil level dropping & no apparent leak on the D8K, add oil, no external oil leaking, but level dropping, add more oil, no leak.....must have added 20 gallons & still no leak...…….we thought we were loosing our minds, then suddenly the leak started coming out the RH arm & the puzzle pieces fell into place!! If I remember correctly, it was rubber hoses only, no steel lines in there......almost 40 yrs ago, so the memory tends to fog a bit. Will never forget that incident though!!

  9. #9Jonas3022020-01-13 20:24

    I tie a rope on the hose before I pull it though from the control valve or blade arm

  10. #10excavator2020-01-13 23:04

    I think maybe Nige is referring to us. Please post the serial numbers for us.

  11. #11Old Magnet2020-01-14 01:16

    Cat did right, there are three different hose connection lengths depending on blade s/n and tilt cylinder part number and tractor s/n. Choices are 48.40 ", 37.80" and 38.47"

  12. #12Liebherrman2020-01-14 08:07

    Great info!.. I was wondering what would happen if one of the lines burst inside the beam! Haha.. unfortunately the serial tag is not on the blade anymore I see a lot of the Elite Series H's and K's had the same arrangement, someone already replace these lines and are way too long and hodgepodge and mounting bracket missing I want to get it back to correct specs, so I'm going to insist my Cat Dealer parts man keep on digging. If he can't I guess the next step is to find a serial number from the same blade elsewhere Is there anybody out there that has the same Blade with a serial number that they could let me borrow? Here's another picture

  13. #13Liebherrman2020-01-14 08:09

    Great advise!..thank you

  14. #14Liebherrman2020-01-14 08:10

    I have the machine serial number and the hydraulic tank serial number is that enough? Because I don't have the blade serial number

  15. #15Liebherrman2020-01-14 08:11

    Wow good info., I need to keep digging

  16. #16Nige2020-01-14 08:24

    Based on the info supplied by other posters it appears as though the blade S/N appears to be the key factor in determining what is the correct P/N & length for these particular hoses. My first thought was that the hose Part Numbers could be traced via the S/N of the hydraulic control but obviously I was not correct in that assumption. Maybe I was a bit cryptic in my first post but yes I was asking you to post the S/N's here so that people like OM who have lots of Cat Parts information from that era could chime in.

  17. #17Bluox2020-01-14 11:42

    The easiest would pull the old hose out and have 2 new ones made ,I don't think Cat even make the old style anymore. If your just looking for the hose inside the push arm it should be a dash 8 , 12 feet long with 8 jic swivel on both ends. Have Cat try a 44K or 45K blade for a parts list. Good luck Bob

  18. #18Old Magnet2020-01-14 11:57

    Scratch around in the paint where the blade s/n tag would be . Good chance the s/n is stamped there. At least get us the tractor s/n

  19. #19gary8082020-01-14 18:22

    If it’s just hoses take them out and find a hose shop and have new ones made up. Or you can measure them and get hose assembly’s from surplus center for cheap. Look like jic10 1/2 hose.

  20. #20Welder Dave2020-01-14 18:32

    It looks like the hoses were replaced in the past and may not be the proper length.

  21. #21Bluox2020-01-14 20:05

    So you have x-ray vision and can see inside that push arm? Bob

  22. #22Welder Dave2020-01-14 21:45

    I was replying to gary808's post above mine. I think the OP wants to get the correct length hoses it originally came with.

  23. #23Nige2020-01-15 05:24

    From the OP's original photo showing the covers off and oil leaking down the track frame it appears as though the hoses he is looking for are the two in the photo between the rear end of the push arm and the machine. IIRC OM mentioned previously that there are three different length options for the hoses in that location.

  24. #24Bluox2020-01-15 07:36

    I guess you never seen one of these either ,these two hoses are the same length .The two on the other end are two different lengths. If you look at post 13 the op is indicating the two in the push arm which are 12 feet . Bob

  25. #25Nige2020-01-15 08:05

    FYI I have seen plenty of these, but the last one was many years ago, late 1980's probably. I read post #13 as the OP replying to a comment made in post #8 about what to do if one of the hoses inside the push arm burst. TBH he hasn't been clear about which hoses he wants the specification for. I put two & two together after looking at the photo in his OP and maybe came to six, but based on the oil leaking in the photo I thought it was a reasonable assumption under the circumstances. Maybe the OP would care to reply and clarify exactly what information he is looking for. FWIW there are four different arrangements of the two hoses shown in his photo listed for the 44K/45K blade - attached below. The hoses Ref. #1 are different lengths in each case.

  26. #26Bluox2020-01-15 11:34

    And in all 4 the hoses in the push arm are the same hose. Bob

  27. #27Check Break2020-01-16 01:42

    I don't know why my Caterpillar dealership sent me three different parts breakdown for the hydraulic tilt cylinder supply lines, and no other options for my 1969 D8H 46A dozer... my lines run up through the blade frame they could not find this parts breakdown Arrangement anywhere., does anybody have the parts breakdown? that would be great, I'm trying to get correct replaceable lines. There's three pair of lines. 1. First pair runs from bulkhead fitting in rear of blade arm (at trunion) to valve body. Hose Assembly 8S4932. Hose length 48.40". Angle Orientation 0 degrees. 2. Second pair runs inside blade arm from rear bulkhead to front bulkhead. Hose Assembly 8S4936. Hose length 139.50". Angle of Orientation 0 degrees. 3. The third pair runs from the front bulkhead to the tilt cylinder. There's two different hoses. Hose assembly 8S5620. Hose length 42.20" Angle Orientation 0 degrees. Hose assembly 8S4934. Hose length 26.20". Angle Orientation 0 degrees. There's two 90 degree fittings in the front bulk head. The fittings are installed on the outside (top) of bulkhead. The third pair of hoses should be guarded. CAT used spring guard. I would use OEM guarding. The second pair of hoses inside the blade arm should also be guarded. Your choice, nylon sleeve (or fire hose) or plastic spiral hose guard. Failure to install hose guard around these hoses will result in excessive wear and the leak(s) everyone is talking about. CAT should be able to print you a parts diagram if you tell them these hoses are part of the "8S6921 BLADE TILT CYLINDER LINES GROUP - Type 2. If you want to use a local hose shop, the hose is No. 8 (1/2") as mentioned previously. The three diagrams CAT sent you are probably titled as stated and are differentiated by Type 2, Type 3 and Type 4. Hose pairs 2 and 3 are the same length in all three "Types". Hose pair 1 for Type 3 changes to 37.80" and Type 4 changes to 38.47". I doubt this matters to you as you are only asking about Hose Pair No. 2 within the blade arm. These hoses are the same length for all three variations, Type 2, Type 3 and Type 4. Hope this helps.