Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat Dozer D7 3T or 17A

Prospectorgav ยท 2017-11-28 16:46

Hi forum, recently purchased a Cat D7 17a dozer with a ripper attachment which I was told was a 17a. I went and had a good look over it a couple of days ago where I have to pick it up from. The engine number is a 3T number and the engine looked identical to the D8800 engine I am rebuilding for my D7 3T. I could not read the chassis number as the ripper winch is mounted over it. Is the engine still a D8800 3T engine in the 17a although it is a higher horsepower engine. The pony engine is seized and I am trying to get parts together for a starter conversion to electric to get it going to move it. I will upload some photos soon.

Replies3
  1. #1epirbalex2017-11-28 18:04

    On the left hand side of the main motor , just above the crankcase there is a flat spot with the engine number etched into the casting on the left side . Could be another tag towards the rear of the block , again on the left side . Is this a cable blade ? 339 motor number rings a bell .

  2. #2Prospectorgav2017-11-28 23:33

    Yes, this is a cable blade. Where you were talking about is a aluminium tag about 3'' x 2'' joined to the block denoting a number 3T?????. Next time I visit the area I will look for this number etched into the casting in the same area and also upload some photos.

  3. #3Old Magnet2017-11-29 02:20

    Same displacement engine used in the 3T and 17A. The D8800 has exposed push rod tubes. The D339 has the valve push rods enclosed in the block.