Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat DPL 40- fuel issue

lylecoutlee · 2018-10-24 23:51

Hey guys, I’m new posting to the forum, but have read and learned a bit from you guys. So I’d like to thank all of you for that. I am buying a 96 catapillar DPL 40 forklift with fuel issues. It’s a diesel and it starts up with just enough throttle. Giving to much or not enough can kill it while warming it up. After a while it will run by itself and even start idling up real slow. I got it close to full throttle. Using hydraulics bogs the engine down same with using hydraulics. Everything tells me it’s the pump. I’ve been told they bypassed the lift pump with an electric one. Though I will check fuel pressure. I will personally check everything up to the pump but that’s where I do not know to much. I’m hoping to get possible things to search in the pump that I can do myself cause I can’t really afford a new pump if that’s the problem. Anything will help cause it sounds that the seller has done everything besides put on a new pump and injectors.

Replies8
  1. #1thepumpguysc2018-10-25 06:07

    By my quickie research its a VE injection pump?? By your description it sure sounds like either a supply problem or a sticking metering sleeve?? U should find out what the pressure is on the electric pump.. the inj. pump only needs about 5 psi.. The injectors are by far, the least expensive thing to get done & the easiest to remove. Your still gonna need a slide hammer to get the injectors out, in most cases. Btw> you don't hafta buy a NEW pump.. they're rebuildable for far less money..

  2. #2lylecoutlee2018-10-28 15:55

    hey Pump guy, I’ve been looking into the ve pump and not exactly sure if it’s a brand or style of pump. I took a pic and got info off it though. Nippondenso 190800 1260 I’m curious where I can find info for this pump online. I looked on nippondenso but couldn’t find this exact pump.

  3. #3thepumpguysc2018-10-28 18:32

    That's not a VE pump.. its a PES6A pump.. The actual nameplate isn't there.. its supposed to be on the pump itself.. that np is for/on the governor.. its possible to take the gov # & match it to a pump.. kinda like a "where used" Did u take the supply pressure? That supply pump comes off & is rebuildable.. 3/10mm nuts. There might be a filter inside the "banjo bolt" that goes into the bottom of that supply pump.?? Take it out & look..

  4. #4thepumpguysc2018-10-28 18:50

    I looked-up & matched the gov. to the pump.. The pump assy. # is>> 191000-5040 The supply pump # is>> 092100-1011 u can order that # or take it off & get it rebuilt for about the same price, if u have a trusted fuel shop to do it right.. According to the parts breakdown>> it DOES HAVE a filter screen in the banjo bolt.. it unscrews from the inside of the bolt.. unscrew & blow off & reinstall..

  5. #5lylecoutlee2018-10-28 18:59

    Not yet. I live 6 hrs from where I bought the forklift. Just go through the town for work every once in a while. I am having it brought to me cause I don’t have means to haul it. At moment what you’ve seen is all I got. But when it gets down here I can actually start pulling it apart. And looking at the screen you mention.

  6. #6lylecoutlee2018-10-28 19:01

    Awesome, as soon as I get it down here I will do exactly that. Thank u.

  7. #7lylecoutlee2018-11-17 21:04

    Hey pump guy I finally got the forklift home last night and cleaned out the screen and than tested the lift pump. The problem is the fuel pump. I have the info off of it but do not know where to get a rebuild kit for it. At the moment I’m trying to navigate the Denso sight 8N DENSO 092100- 155 1 NO-FP/KS22ACND155

  8. #8thepumpguysc2018-11-18 05:58

    Your terminology is all over the place..Lol lift pump, supply pump, fuel pump?? The # u gave me is for the LITTLE PUMP on the side.. Have u taken it off yet & determine what parts u need?? They're bad about breaking springs.. All u need at the moment is a "kit".. a Bosch DGK310-H will gettcha goin.. It has all the gaskets, valves & a new hand primer.. A regulat DGK301 will work but doesn't have the HP.. & YOU WANT a NEW HP..trust me.. YOU cant access the parts breakdown site.. I can tho.. just tell me whatcha need.. Just take it apart & look at the spring & piston under the BIG nut in the center.. spring broken> piston scored?? I have the P#'s infront of me, just let me know.. OH.. that pump seals to the pump body w/ an oring.. P#> 949140-0380 ..U GOTTA replace it too.. or it'll leak oil.