Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CAT ET Only Seeing Hydraulic ECM – 287 Skid Steer

D6braun · 2026-09-15 19:52

I'm relatively new to CAT ET and could use some guidance from those with experience on older CDL-era Caterpillar equipment. I'm running: CAT ET 2024A v1.1 Genuine CAT Communication Adapter 3 Dual Data Link Service enabled 250k baud rate selected I can successfully connect to and read engine ECMs on several of our newer CAT machines using the same laptop, ET installation, Comm Adapter 3, and cables, so I don't think I have a hardware issue. It could be a CAT ET configuration setting that I'm overlooking, but I'm not sure what else to check. The issue is occurring on two older machines: 2003 CAT 287 Skid Steer​ Prefix: CNY CAT ET only finds: Aux Hyd Ctl 236 ECM Serial Number: 0923B099HN Tool Control Software No engine ECM appears. CAT 312C Excavator​ Prefix: CAE01 (Grey Market Machine) CAT ET only finds: Hyd Pump Control 312C ECM Part Number: 1573165-05 Software Description: 312C HEX CONTROL Interestingly, the hydraulic controller displays several engine-related parameters and diagnostic codes including coolant temperature, fuel level, charging voltage, and engine governor position. My primary reason for digging into this is that the hour meter has failed on the 287. I was hoping to connect to the engine ECM and retrieve the engine hours so I can properly document them and transfer the correct hours to the replacement meter. Questions​ Is there a communication setting in CAT ET that I'm missing? Has anyone seen a wiring, fuse, or datalink issue where ET communicates with the hydraulic controller but not the engine ECM? Does the 9-pin connection in the attached photo look complete enough to communicate with the engine ECM? - Looks like quite a few pins are missing Since both machines exhibit the same behavior, while newer machines connect normally with the same equipment, I'm trying to determine whether this is: An ET configuration issue, A machine-side communication problem, Or simply how these older machines typically produce PSR's and what you can view in CAT ET. I've attached photos of the diagnostic connector, CAT ET communication settings, and Product Status Reports from both machines. Any advice from technicians familiar with older CAT electronic systems would be greatly appreciated.

Replies3
  1. #1Tyler d4c2026-09-15 20:02

    No engine ecm on the 287 there is a interlock ecm bit it is a soilid state ecm for lack of better term and does not talk to a can bus

  2. #2Tyler d4c2026-09-15 20:04

    The 312c also has no engine ecm the hydro ecm just watches some engine data like rpm and temps

  3. #3D6braun2026-09-15 20:22

    Ah that makes alot of sense! Mechanical fuel pump and what not so assuming that normally means no engine ECM.