Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat HM415C Mulcher issue

Kendall R · 2021-10-24 20:46

Have a cat 299d2 XHP and Cat HM415C drum mulcher. Machine has almost 2k hours and mulcher has probably around 1600. First problem I noticed yesterday while mulching was hydraulic temp would reach 205, which it doesn’t do normally since I have the aux roof cooler. So I’m thinking fan may be burned up or fuse blown etc. I believe I can figure that part out but the second issue that I came across (and it might be or might not be related to why hydraulic oil temp is going through the roof) is that when I engaged the mulcher, the needle stays in the “green” almost like it’s partially bogging down or dragging instead of being only about halfway up the “yellow” section when not cutting anything. Reminds me of when something like briars or a vine wraps up around the drum and drum will pretty quickly spit the stuff out. (Don’t know what the proper name is for the needle indicator on the mulching head.) Has anyone ever had this issue?

Replies4
  1. #1Kendall R2021-10-24 20:49

    Could this be a sign of a clogged hydraulic filter on my skid steer not letting it flow properly? Or a worn hydraulic pump on my mulcher?

  2. #2T320FL2021-10-24 20:52

    Check the belt in the mulcher head. Probably loose or shot out.

  3. #3Kendall R2021-10-24 21:18

    Thanks

  4. #4Tones2021-10-25 16:14

    The needle on the mulcher is a pressure gauge. I'm not familiar with cat/FAE mulchers most have a control block before the motor that have relief valves in them. Sometimes in there the 0 rings fail allowing oil to bypass and this also heats the oil, it's an easy fix but you need to have the correct size and gauge rings. I used to carry 3 containers of assorted rings. Each container was it's own gauge. If you are going to fix yourself DON'T mess with the adjuster (allenhead screw or the locking nut) but remove it entirely. Before starting this work uncouple the hoses off the loader or you're going to drain the tank. PS; most relief valves require what is known as a backup ring, usually a white plastic looking thing. If they are missing then fit 2 0 rings in place of it.