Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat IT28 Trans Problem

CDUB ยท 2012-10-20 19:08

I wanted to see if anyone has any ideas. My IT28 Trans heats up to about 190 and stops going into reverse. As it starts warming up it slows going into reverse then as it gets warmer it stops taking reverse alltogether. Foward wokrs fine in all gears. I've changed the oil and filter and cleaned the strainer with no change.

Replies4
  1. #1Bob/Ont2012-10-20 20:39

    Please post your serial# so we can help you better. Sounds like an oil leak, might fix from outside but might need to come out. Later Bob

  2. #2caterpillarmech2012-10-21 08:59

    Friend of mine had the same thing happen to his it28. Dealership dignosd it and the seal would bypass when the oil gets thinner/hotter. Needs to come out for an overhaul. Probably just on the rear clutch pack and pistons but, if you have it out, do the whole thing. Sorry.

  3. #3CDUB2012-10-21 12:21

    I was afraid of that. Thanks. Serial # 2KC1034 by the way.

  4. #4Dwan Hall2012-11-09 02:53

    Just bought a IT28B (1HF02511) from our city. someone had filled the trans with diesel twice so the city decided to get rid of it. Cat says the trans needs replaced but so far I have found nothing wrong with it. Any ideas what I should be looking for? Trans fluid has been changed both times shortly after the mistake. Question can any one tell me how much diesel can be added to the trans tank if it had the properly admount of trans fluid was in it to begin with before the fuel nosel would shout off? This machine only has 3345 hours on it.