Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JD 644 C Transmission Oil Change

alaskaforby4 ยท 2012-10-18 21:35

So I got this loader little awhile back, it has about 7000 hrs on it, everything seems to be in good working order. Just going through it now with new glass, radiator cleaning and any other preventative maintenance I can do. From what Ive heard the Tranny is the weak link in these loaders so Ive decided to change the fluid/filters since I have no idea if or when the last change was. I was wondering if just draining the fluid on the transmission will suffice or is there more steps I should do? Also, if there are any other things I should check/change while I have it in the shop I would appreciate it. Thanks

Replies6
  1. #1kart432012-10-19 08:35

    Oil and filter is about all you can do. The frame does not allow you to pull suction screen out. When you drai oil, run a magnet up inside the drain hole to check for any particles. The only drawback with this series loader from the B series is the pressure regulator and shift accumulator spring and piston. They dropped the pressures down so it will not shift as hard as a B series.

  2. #2alaskaforby42012-10-19 11:31

    ok, I will give that a try. I have this really strong neodymium magnet that has 200 + lbs of pull force. I wonder about sticking this on the bottom of the pan while running?

  3. #3kart432012-10-21 21:02

    I was thinking more along the line of 5lb. magnet. Too much and any debris will stick to all sides of tranny.

  4. #4alaskaforby42012-10-23 15:10

    So I drained the tranny and replaced the two filters in the center by the main pins.. Is one of these filters for the hydraulic system as well? I figure both would by for the trans but looked all over for a hyd. Filter and cant find one? Please enlighten me!

  5. #5paulsoccodato2012-10-23 19:11

    I have a 544c, not sue if they're the same, but , the 2 filters in the center are transmission/brakes/steering. The loader hydraulics filter is behind the cab in the hydro tank.

  6. #6alaskaforby42012-10-24 11:08

    Thanks, I ended up draining the hyd. tank and they just appeared like buried treasure!