I just watched a video on YouTube that caterpillar put on there and it showed the K series blade looks like its set up about the same as the H series just a few changes anyone else here about cat launching the K series?
Not sure when it was introduced, but my understanding is it is not for the U.S. market. I think you can go to the cat.com website for Australia/NZ, and you may be able to view the product brochure. Not sure if anyone would have any luck sneaking one in, and re badging it as an "H" smoothoperator
Oh okay that makes sence I was just curious if cat was going to offer the conventional controlls and have the M series controlls it would be nice if they did give us operators more of a decision what controll set up we want
I had a hydraulic hose rub through on my '08 140M AWD, and jumped back into a 2000 140H w/about 12,500 hours while waiting for parts. I was doing dirtwork, slopes, and finishing road approaches. It is still a very good machine, but I really missed the control that I have with the M-series. Being able to steer, articulate, shift, and control both ends of the blade all at the same time really makes the job easier and more enjoyable. 4,400 hours in my M, and it's like spreading frosting on a large cake, with a 16' blade. smoothoperator
I also switch back and forth I'm currently running a 2012 140 M AWD and I love it only thing I don't like about the m vs the h is when plowing snow you just don't have the controll you do with steering wheel in the H maybe I just need more time in the M pushing snow but as for blading roads and doing other dirt work I love the M
The K series is sort of a rerun of the H, but between the H and the K something went missing. Quality. The K series does not match up the H (can't speak for an M), but it really is not smooth on the shifting, the brakes are shoddy, I'm running a 20 year old galion that is better than a 5 month old K in both regards. The steal they're using is not of good quality, and overall the machines are just not well put together. Having worked for my local Cat dealer and worked on the K series, we had machines fresh off the boat with rusted rods and pins. Very shabby machines i'm afraid, not up top the quality I'd come to expect from other Cat machines.
As an FYI...The K series is Cat's Stage II and Stage III (engine emissions level) for their export market. They are made in China and Brazil and are not available for the North American markets. They are very similar in design to their previous H series graders.
That's the primary problem with the M, and it is huge. It's questionable if CAT will ever best itself over the original G Series grader lineup from an operator's vantage point. The G was a work of genius, and all that follows will be flattering imitation of the original design.