This wild looking machine has been sitting at a nearby site for a while, figured I would post up some pictures of it....
Here are some more.... It appears as though the pan itself is Letourneau-Westinghouse and then the Tractor unit is a Cat, that was repowered with a Cummins engine.
I do believe you have found a Clark 290M, not a Cat, Letourneau, or Westinghouse, but cool none the less http://www.clark290m.com/
Oh ok, thanks for the link! I figured that it was part Westinghouse because of the tag on the pan haha
It looks like they used 2 different tractors, the Clark 290M and a Cat 830 MB, I think that this one has the Cat 830 because the gauges in the cab were Cat gauges? It has a Cummins engine in it. I found a post on here of a guy that has one
The cat 830MB is a completely different animal at the front end compared to the one in your photos. I agree with SJ83, you've come across a Clark 290M. Interesting find though.
Ah, gotcha! Any ideas on what it might weigh?
The tag in your picture says 30,860 lbs.
But it also says the manufacturer is Let. Westinghouse?
Yair . . . Here ya go . . . they used to make machines in those days . . . . . Saw a couple working in PNG and they were killing early 627's Cheers.
I'm guessing 31,000 pounds is just the can.... tag also says "Length 30'-8" "
That's a real good point.
I would say the Letourneau part is the scraper end as the data plate is on the can rather than on the tractor part.
Yep, that scraper was manufactured by Letourneau Westinghouse. The US military used that scraper behind both the Michigan and the Cat tractor. There was also a similar scraper built by Euclid that was interchangeable as a unit with both tractors. I have worked with a bunch of the 290M machines, but never the Cats. I did see the bones of a similar tractor for these scrapers with an 8V71 Detroit Diesel, but I cant remember the maker. MRS?
How do you delete a duplicate post? grr
The tractor with the Detroit was probably a Rite Tractor. they made 4wd tractors for ag but they were also used in a lot of scraper applications Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
Here are some pics of the Clark 290 and the Cat 830M , look for the differences ! There are more than 10 !!!!!
You could do the whole job with one of those girls. ( and a good operator of cause ) lol
I've actually run the 290M just to play with it... That dozer blade is quite handy. I've also used a disconnected 290M as a rubber tired dozer, not a bad machine for that purpose either.
How bad are those machines to hook/unhook. I've thought about buying one but thought it would be a pain to haul without unhooking to load
I really don't know about the disconnect. I've never done it. But they used a big hitch ball just forward of the rear tractor axle, didn't look too hard to unbolt the retainer collar and disconnect and cap the hydraulic lines. The bowls had a set of safety links to support the neck when unhooked. I had a friend that was a Wabco employee for years that was in the US air force in the mid 60s that said the military shipped each half in a C141 transport and dropped them by parachute. That was the reason for the 4 wheel tractor, to make the necessary hook ups on the ground unassisted. And that reminds me, the 290 tractor would break the frame over the rear axle if you really worked it hard. A good 1' fishplate can prevent that.
An older (to me) guy in the area has one parked in his pasture and looks to be in descent shape and I have often thought about trying to buy it from him. What would one of those be worth?
I haven't paid too much attention for 10 years or so, but iif it starts and works. I would say 10 to 15K depending on condition. They will self load quite well, if the hauls aren't too long I think they can outdo a 621 depending on how well your air ride seat works. Parts can be a problem, the tractor is mostly Michigan 280 dozer. If the Tedfords in Montana are still in biz they have parts. I haven't worked on one for 15 years, but they were great machines when you got them figured out.
RZ your right that the 290 Michigan scraper is mostly 280 dozer parts. But remember, the 280 is mostly made of from the 275 Loader which there is FAR more of around. Oldseabee on here has said that the one main difference is that the loader only had a 4 speed transmission where the others had an 8 speed trans. Just thought that it might open up a large source of parts for the guys that do have/run these old girls.
It's been a good 15+ years since Iv'e seen one, but it seems to me the 290s had 4 speed trans too. And I don't believe they had lockup either. The dozer blade was handy, but a bit soft without adding some serious wearplating if they were pushloading each other.
On more thing ..... there a very good idea that front blade. Then us Grader boys won't get in the s$!T anymore for the rough haul roads from you scraper boys. U boys could make and grade your own. :notworthy :thumbsup
. The other manufacture was Clarke. Operated one for several years.
3 different scrapers were used with both tractors. Le Tourneau-Westinghouse, Euclid and Curtiss-Wright. They also make aircraft, or did. The tractors and the scrapers were made for the US Gov. under separate contracts. Out tax dollars at work.
Funny this thread has been resurrected, Earlier this week I was in Yakima Wa. and saw a Cat 830M in an auction yard. First 830m Ive seen in the flesh, it was minus dozer blade and connected to a 6000? gallon water tank. I didn't get a chance to get up close, but I think it was a Klein tank. I believe Heaverlo Auctions has a website. It may be on there.
I wish ductmaster would put some more pics up. They have some of those 290's pulling pans that they have mounted another wheel on each side of the pan for flotation. The shop boys in Cleveland and Medina are some deep-thinking boys.