Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat M2 Grader’s

YellowIorn ยท 2012-01-18 15:18

I opened up an e-mail this morning from a trade magazine and saw a link for the upgraded 120/12 M2 blades. I read it over 3 times when I saw the 12M2 is now availible with all wheel drive. The specs look good I think around 240hp max in awd compared to the 120 at closer to 200max awd. Any geusses out there as to why they added awd to the 12 series? Also, does this a 14M2 AWD in the future, as that would make what is already a beast of a blade from what I've read and heard, pretty much unstoppable.

Replies13
  1. #1snapfruzen2012-01-26 03:51

    Don't believe for a minute that AWD graders are unstoppable. Yeah, they leave regular graders in their dust, but when you get bogged, you are really #%&@##ing bogged.

  2. #2Nige2012-01-26 07:34

    An old boss of mine always said that the only advantage of AWD was that it allowed you to get stuck in more inaccesible places .......

  3. #3YellowIorn2012-01-26 11:40

    I remember getting hearing that from my father when I got my licence, lol. I was lucky enough to run dozer and loader etc. long before I was old enough to drive and I was always really careful and absorbed a ton of great advice so when I got down the headache's of school to do it full time, the first time I buried a D5 almost ten years ago was a huge blow to my ego, to that point I was arrogant enough to think it was skill that kept me from making mistakes like that but just plain old luck. I still push the limits and made a whole bunch more and bigger mistakes but keep learning. Anyway, I forget in other parts of the world people actully use Grader's to their full extent. Around here contractors only use them to fine grade right before heck, sometimes we'll even place type A with a dozer so all the grader has to do is cuff it around. The rest of the year there just lawn orniments. Best Regards, Ryan

  4. #4CatGrader2012-02-05 13:02

    Well if were going to go into that. A bulldozer can beat anything for access. FACT....it's all back to the Operator what that machine is capable of no more no less. If in doubt PULL OUT. BTW I bet there isn't one Operator that hasen't been bogged or stuck atleast once in there time ( I will say more than once lol ) AND you don't need 4x4 6x6 or whatever sometimes the ground is in control and just sucks you up. ( in ) :beatsme Remember "Man Who Does Nothing Wrong Doesn't Do Anything". :drinkup

  5. #5Evan2012-02-06 04:26

    I agree 100% with you on this one!

  6. #6gilledp2012-02-06 09:59

    12m2 awd Correct, YellowIron, the 12M2 will feature an AWD option. This will complete all models of Cat's small graders having an AWD option, 120M2, 12M2, 140M2 and 160M2. AWD is becoming more accepted in the market as customers begin to understand and apply the productivity benefits.

  7. #7EarthwurmJurm2012-02-07 04:08

    When it comes to earth moving or life itself, I have always been a big advocate of the "pull out method"..

  8. #8Radrock2012-02-14 21:34

    amen

  9. #9CatGrader2012-02-15 19:02

    Ooops as I said it happens lol.

  10. #10Radrock2012-02-15 21:32

    That china made grader didn't get you out of the mud any better hahaha. It looks a little wet there...

  11. #11Greg2012-02-15 21:41

    Damn chinese made grader should be left in the mud where it belongs until it rusts away which should take about 6 months.

  12. #12CatGrader2012-02-16 09:26

    Nah boy's that one there was an Australian made 12H series 2 ( Made with American Parts ) LOL this happened in Victoria just before xmas 2011 Have a lookie. BTW if you look up on the right hand side behind the machine you can just make out the windrow I was trying to push. ( I told the Engineer it was to risky but they were on a deadline ) ( Just sneak her in there do what you can and we will do the rest with a bobcat ) Anyway to cut a long story short ----- that's how far it slipped ( the ground there is volcanic and you only have to **** on it and it turns to well you know what ) PUSH PUSH PUSH lol You can't tell some people. I paced it out it slipped 2.5 meters ( 8 feet ) and she wasn't coming out. Any further and I would have been it 10 feet ( 3 meters )of water. BTW OH&S would not let me tow it out we wasted a day waiting for a blQQdy tow truck to come over from the other side of town to pull me out 5 min and it was done. Don't know why I bothered learning all those things my father and grandfather taught me about machines before I was 16 years old for ?? Let alone the rest of 36 years of driving just about all the earthmoving machines it takes to build freeways dams subdivisions etc etc??? I got told how to pull out that machine by a bloke that has never been near machinery. makes one wonder. And $1200 out of pocket just for the tow. Let alone the lost working hours. So there you go. Cheers :drinkup

  13. #13Radrock2012-02-16 17:49

    Oh there is always someone that is smarter than the operator. If you don't believe them, ask them. I was working in the oil field years ago and the D-8 operator I was working with got his rig stuck. It had a ripper and a blade on it. I had him lift the rig up and I pushed some dry dirt in under the tracks with a motor grader. He wasn't stuck too bad and I had lots of dry dirt close. The forman came up and told me I was wasting my time and that I would never get him out of there. He was going to go get another dozer. Hey it's 50 miles back to the shop. This is all about 11:30 in the afternoon. He takes the operator with him and tells me to finish what I was doing. Well 12:00 (lunch) came and I decided to try it a little more just for the heck of it. 20 minutes I had that D-8 sitting on dry ground. This is back before we all had cell phones too by the way. They show up at about 3 pm with the low-boy and another D-8 and the boss came and ate my ass out for making him look bad. I told him I did it on my own time. He said he ought to fire me but decided he better not hahaha. Like I said there is always someone that know better than the operator....