Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hydraulics (slow response/speed)

bruce michael ยท 2012-01-18 06:14

Hi all I am operating a 2006 model (teir 2) 12h. it has only 4500hrs on the clock. It was a Cat rental machine that my boss first leased then bought out right for the residual. The problem I have (and it may be imagined!) is that some of the hydraulic responses/actions seem very slow? (side shift, rippers, blade/circle rotation and articulation) Moldboard control is fine? I have heard that the rental machines are "de-tuned"? If so...can the pump (hydraulic) be boosted/ turned up etc etc...if that is the correct term? I have not had the machine to a fitter or have I asked this question of anyone else! could this be possible or is something else amiss? I look forward to your replies. Regards Bruce

Replies8
  1. #1vernier2012-01-18 15:07

    Hi Bruce I recently ran in to a similar situation on my 140G with the slow response on some functions. If those functions are all on the same bank of levers (left side or right side) there is a shield mounted on the floor directly ahead of the valve banks, if this is not adjusted properly it will not let the valve levers travel to their max. (they will hit the shield & therefore slow down that function. This might be something to check. Hope this helps. Good luck Vernier

  2. #2bruce michael2012-01-28 13:14

    Hi Vernier Checked out this yesterday. It appears that the sheilds are adjusted and do let the valve levers travel to their maximum. I have since found out that the circle rotation and rippers are on the same hydraulic circuit? The fitters are turning up next week for the 5000hr service so hopefully this can be rectified. Many thanks. Bruce

  3. #3michael james2012-01-28 13:48

    Bruce, I had an issue with the blade lift cylinders becoming slow to respond and after many tests by our mechanic, he took it to a specialist and it turned out that one of the gas accumulators was low on pressure, not sure though that this has anything to do with your problem, because none of those actions are on an accumulator cuircuit?

  4. #4John C.2012-01-28 17:22

    Many times problems with the speed or rate of movement have more to do with the operator getting used to the machine. Somewhere there is a specification for cycle time on each circuit. I've found over years that the cycle times are usually right on. If that is the case then you have gotten to be better operator than you thought. I have no idea how an accumulator can affect the speed of a lift cylinder. They are basically just springs that let the blade be pushed up over an obstruction in the road. They are also on the piston side of the cylinder which would have no affect on down speed.

  5. #5bruce michael2012-01-29 01:48

    Hi Michael I will mention this to the fitter when and if he turns up.......(been a little bit wet up here lately). I thought that I may have been a little hard on the "H" regarding this perceived problem. Early this morning between rain, I hopped on one of the bosses leased 140Ms. The hydraulic response was so fast that I now beleive that my H does have a problem. regards Bruce

  6. #6bruce michael2012-01-29 02:00

    Hi John C. I don't think I'm a better operator than I think I am at present...it is nice to dream though!!!! The new 140M I was on this morning certainly has a much faster response time to all of the hydraulic functions when compared to my litte H. I suppose this my be comparing apples with oranges? I will read up on the cycle times for the hydraulics on the H, I have a service manual for it and ascertain if they are within the parameters? But with the M all movements were fast and very responsive. I should add that I was on a old 140G a couple of weeks agoand the hydraulic response times compared to my h seem to be about the same??? Very confused

  7. #7rare ss2012-01-29 06:39

    the M's are a whole differant machine compared with a H (which is basicly a dressed up G) as for detuning CAT rental machines, with the size of their fleet and the timeframe in which they replace their units i very much doubt they would purposely detune any functions Best bet would be to read up on the cycle times and test them, if their out then get the fitters involved, then its their job

  8. #8CatGrader2012-02-01 10:15

    Have you looked at any replacement hose's on the old girl. Sometimes clowns but the wrong hose's on thinking she will be right all hose's are the same right ? Wrong. Check that for a start and work your way back. Oh no charge for that. ;P