Hi team I’m having a problem with the swing brake motor of CAT M317 Wheeled Hex. Whenever I did a rotation/swing, it won’t stop immediately when the joystick is in neutral position. You need to jag a counter rotate first to stop in a required position. I already replaced an OEM clutch pack of the swing brake motor. But still the problem persist. No leakage in the motor. Maybe you have a better idea to cure this problem. Thankyou!
The swing brake is not designed to stop the upper frame from rotating. It is designed to hold it in place once it is stopped. It takes a couple of seconds (IIIRC up to 5) for the brake to apply after you return the swing control joystick to the uetral position. Counter-rotating is a perfectly acceptable way of stopping the upper frame moving. As soon as it stops the brake will hold it there.
Hi Sir Based on my observation, upper frame still move once it is stop in a desired position, especially when it has a heavy attachment or when travelling the unit. I thought that the swing brake doesn’t have enough pressure to hold it.
If I am not mistaken the swing brake is applied by springs and released by hydraulic pressure when you move the swing joystick. So if the brake is not holding then either it is getting pressure from somewhere that it shouldn't be, or it is not holding mechanically. You said that you replaced the "clutch pack" (friction discs & plates I assume) in the swing brake, did you replace anything else.? Need a machine Serial Number to go further.
Swing brake isn't active until 4-6 seconds after all control functions stop. Some machines have a "fine swing mode" that give the operation you speak of. Swing motion is actually stopped by stove piping the oil. If "fine swing" is enabled, a small crossover passage between the swing directions is opened, allowing cushioned or delayed slowing, and, obviously, finer control. And, no swing brake until the machine is off. If machine has a "swing brake off" switch, the house will turn downhill of the tractor is on a slope.
The above is also why I asked for the Serial Number. I pulled up an M317 O&M at random and discovered the following text. I am not saying it applies to the OP's machine. The swing brake is used to prevent movement of the upper frame. Automatic Swing Brake Control If the swing system is not used for the preset amount of time, the swing brake is automatically applied. The time period for the automatic swing brake can be set between 0.5 seconds and 60 seconds. When the swing brake is applied, movement of the upper frame is prevented. When the swing function is used, the swing brake is automatically released. Manual Swing Brake Control The manual swing brake switch is the rear button on the right side of the left joystick. To prevent drift of the upper structure during operations, push down on the button for the swing brake. To release the swing brake, release the button.
Machine serial no. CH500277
Machine Serial No. CH500277
OK, so this is an M317D2. See my post #6 above. These comments apply to your machine. Were you aware this was how the swing brake worked.? Below is an illustration of the location of the manual swing brake switch. Try to operate the brake using this switch and let us know the results.
Update. This parameter is not operator-adjustable, it has to be set using Caterpillar ET. I am trying to find out what the factory default setting is on the assumption that because adjustment requires ET it is more likely that the machine still has the factory default setting programmed in the ECM.
Factory setting I'm betting is 3.5 seconds