Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat motors

chtucker ยท 2006-08-13 11:11

1673 (C) 1160 3306 What are the differences? Hp? would I be happy with a 1673?

Replies7
  1. #1dayexco2006-08-13 11:52

    isn't the 1160 an early version of the 3208? a v-8?

  2. #2chtucker2006-08-13 12:01

    You are asking the wrong guy I have been looking for an Oshkosh and most of the 70s models have a cat motor

  3. #3Jeff D.2006-08-13 18:26

    I haven't personal experience with any of those engines, but it looks like the 1160 is very similiar to the 3208 with some slight internal clearance differences. The 3208, although a commonly used engine, does't have the best reputation for dependability. I don't know if the 1160 would be better/worse/the same. For 1971-1978 General Specs.(could vary w/application) 1160: V8 636cu in. 225hp@2800rpm 474 ftlbs@1400rpm 3208: V8 636cu in. 210hp@2800rpm 485 ftlbs@1400rpm 1673C: I-6 638cu in. 250hp@2200rpm 690 ftlbs@1600rpm I don't have any info for the 3306.

  4. #4Ford LT-90002006-08-13 23:22

    The 3306 is the best motor out of what is listed they are pretty much the 3406s baby brother. I would have a truck with a 3306 only 300hp but they work good, Cat built that engine to compete with the L-10 Cummins.

  5. #5thejdman042006-08-14 22:46

    I know you werent asking but as far as engines if you can find an l10 or an 855 cummins reliability and :bouncegri parts (availibility and cost) will be your best bet.

  6. #6Steve Frazier2006-08-14 23:16

    Quite a few Oshkosh have a 6 cylinder Cat that was also used in the 950 loader. I don't now the number on it, it was a little underpowered compared to modern trucks and top speed was about 40 mph. I'd stay away from the 3208 or anything similar. It just wasn't a good motor.

  7. #7Ford LT-90002006-08-15 00:22

    The 3208 is a 10L V8 that really didn't produce big power it smokes like crazy not very fuel efficient the 3208 was classed as a throwaway engine. You really can't beat the old 855 Cummins aka 335-350-400 they are good old engines. The 350 and 400 Big Cam belch the blue but they just keep going and going.