Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat question

ohfd281 ยท 2008-02-04 00:51

Ok i've been looking around at dozers and thinking about buying a D6, not sure which year, but my question is are there any years, or model i should avoid, or any years which had a lot of problems?:cool2

Replies17
  1. #1bigpete2008-02-04 06:15

    In my humble opinion there was never a d D6 made that was a considered inferior to any other make of machine from the 9U(they were starting when i was)to the present model D6's have always been the mid-range machine of choice ,and anyone seeking a new machine in that horsepower range that could afford one bought one. IH's Allis, Komatsu's and any other exotic breed were a distant second and still are. IF your thinking of starting slow with a good older used unit consider a later D6C or D6D .They are ecconomical parts are plentiful and they are easy enough to find work for.Hope it all comes togeather for you.Suggest an engine&transmission oil test before you outlay $$$

  2. #2Construct'O2008-02-04 13:02

    D6C or D6D not sure how your planing on using it so more info would help.Heres a few difference that you might want over the other.Sure others on here can and will add. D6C's are plentyful and parts are easy to get.If you go with the D6D the hydraulic controls are better the tilt and lift for the dozer blade are on just one level a wobble stick.Where the tilt on the C is a foot control and you are spread out using it at times. The C is better balanced,which helps when dozing.Cable units are added at time for extra weight and helps balance the machine out even more. The D if you get it, make sure you try and find one with the long undercarriage 7 bottom roller frame machine.Better balanced the 6 roller framed amchine on a D really isn't balanced worth a darn.I have owned both. Unless you need the extra flotation i would stay away from a lgp machine,the blade it wiser ,but not as tall as standard blade.Not real good for digging out stumps and clearing trees. I prefer semi-u blade like on the newer 6,the older straight blade always seem to not want to carry dirt as good plus didn't and doesn't roll the dirt like the semi blade does. Those when in wet gummy clay the older 6 blade tend to just ride on top of the grade when it get full and if you try to force it into the ground more it just forces the front of the machine up and you loose traction more and trend to ride harder because the machine is riding up on the rear sprockets. But with that said i have spent a lots of hour on a 6 sized Cat machine.They have been pretty dependable for me over the years,but like everything depends on the previous owner the shape of the machine.Good luck.

  3. #3surfer-joe2008-02-04 20:55

    Stay away from D6C or D with a U-dozer. The 6 can't handle it in most undisturbed materials. Semi-U is better. The D is a better machine all around, in my opinion.

  4. #4steve loving2008-02-05 19:52

    cat final drives the sixes are good machines one thing to look for on the older cats is remove fill plugs on the final drives and see that they are full of oil. If they are over full and it runs out pinion seals are bad prob bearings also. pit a stick magnet down the fill hole and move it around see if you get any metal. Inspect front and back of sprockets for duocone seal leakage. rember before you buy run it try it and get engine hydraulics and tranny hot. lots of machines work cold but not when they get hot. this applyes to all makes steve

  5. #5ohfd2812008-02-05 20:03

    Thanks for all the advice guys, anymore info would be helpful i'll take it all....

  6. #6d6peg2008-02-05 20:12

    D6H 4rc models are good machines also, lots of power and the 3306 motor cant be beat IMHO. We sold ours with 22,000hrs on it and it was still a good machine.

  7. #7RKO2008-02-05 20:52

    U Blade I have U blades on my D6C and D6D and they handle it just fine. I'm pushing undisturbed material and not having a problem. For what I'm doing I would not have a machine with out a U blade.

  8. #8RKO2008-02-05 21:01

    A late model D6C would be a good machine. The D6C is a little heavier than a D6D, and I think a little more dependable. The D6C is better balanced. Except for the joy stick control on the Hydr. the hydr. are the same between the D6C and D6D. You can add the joy stick controls on a D6C. That and the combination steering on the D6D is the only advantage over a D6C. Like said a D6D 7 roller track frame is nice but hard to fine. I did not like the Late D6D's Cat changed the finals and speeded them up and Second gear seems to fast for the machine, the machine does not have enough torque to push a big load in second and the hydr. is not fast enough.

  9. #9Deas Plant2008-02-06 08:57

    D6's Hi, ohfd281. Most of the D6 family gave good service with little trouble. The D6B's that came between the D6 8U/9U and the D6C did have a tendency to 'lunch' on their final drives in heavy dozing work - for which they probably ought to have been using a bigger machine anyway. I'd stick with the straight or semi-U blade. The U-blades might work for RKO in his applications but they are basically a stockpile blade on a tractor as light as a D6. Either rear-mounted rippers or a logging winch will make a noticeable difference to the balance of the jigger, for the better, and they are both handy tools to have too. If you are looking to make a living with it as a dozer, a powershift is a 'must'. Stick-shifts just can't cut it when competing against a powershift in dozing work. That means a D6C or later. Hope this helps.

  10. #10d6peg2008-02-07 20:07

    Dang Deas, I had you figured to be just like my Dad being the old pro that you are and figured you, like him, preferred the direct drive.

  11. #11Deas Plant2008-02-08 05:54

    On Being An OLD Pro. Hi, D6peg. I'm so lazy they had to give me horsepower and hydraulics to get any work out of me at all. Then some silly twit let me play with a powershift machine and I got instantly lazier. I've been a kid in a sand pit for over 40 years now.

  12. #12RollOver Pete2008-02-08 09:17

    I never grew up. I just got a bigger Tonka Toy.

  13. #13d6peg2008-02-09 00:01

    Ditto!!!!:drinkup

  14. #14bigpete2008-02-09 01:22

    Hi ohfd281, Was hopeing to hear by now what the plan was for a D6 . You planning on hireing it out or developing some site or property of your own or as an extra to some existing plant.cheers:drinkup

  15. #15ohfd2812008-02-09 04:00

    Sorry about taking so long to get back to you guys. The dozer will really just be a do it all dozer i think that would be the best way to put it..... I have a 300 acres that needs a lot of work done, but also on the flip side i'm going to purchase a track hoe to assist with the adventure. Later i'm going to move into working for people, and doing some jobs. on the farm the dozer will be used for ponds, maybe to pull a few logs out, and prep work for a new house. just the general stuff. but any thanks for all everyone that has been responding, and this is truly the best site i have came across on the net....:usa

  16. #16d6peg2008-02-09 14:45

    What about the D6E, I once heard they were good machines and a person could probably get into one of those alot cheaper than a high track? I think finding a good d6c or d6d would be almost impossible, at least one that would not give alot of trouble.

  17. #17Deas Plant2008-02-09 16:29

    Tonka Toys. Hi, RollOverPete. As mentioned in my earlier reply to D6Peg, I'm just 'natcherly' lazy, so I will forever bless the people who made Tonka toys big enough to ride on and self-propelled too 'cos it allows me to have all the fun I want without having to push both toy and dirt myself and I can sit down to do it. :notworthy:drinkup KEWL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!