Looking for assistance from someone that has a good understanding of the hydraulic pump system. I have a 2012 247b3 tracked skid steer. I’ve had a couple hydraulic issues over the years and now the sound has gotten worse and I need some guidance. Main issue I’m having right now is when I go to turn left I get a moaning sound almost like there is resistance when tracking left. No sound when driving straight or turning right. At first I thought it was the final drive on right side but when I popped the cab and revved up I could hear the sound Coming from the pump. Second issue I’ve had for a while now. When I’m tilting the bucket I’m getting a screech almost sounds like it’s coming to the right of me when I’m sitting in the cab. Has to be one of the stainless steel hydraulic lines. The hotter the machine the worse the sound gets. I have been advised that mayby the relief valve or counter balance valve is blowing over. I’m not very familiar with the pump but im hoping someone can possibly directly me in what parts could be causing this issue. If you read this far thank you.
The first question I would ask is when was the last time you changed the implement hydraulic system filter and did you cut open the old one to inspect it for particles, either ferrous or non-ferrous.? Another suggestion would be to take a hydraulic oil sample and have it analyzed.
I changed the filter and fluid at 2380 hours machine now has 2800 hours. I had a leak around 2600 hours and lost the entire tank of hydraulic fluid so the fluid only has a few hundred hours. I cant say I cut the old one up. The tilt cylinder issue seems to happen under load and mostly at the end of the cylinder stroke. It also almost has like a dead spot at the very end of the stroke where it will sort of suddenly drop. But I should note that if I do another function like boom up or down as im tilting the problem does not exist? The sound coming from tracking left is really what has my main concern though. As it has suddenly started the last few times I have run the machine and the sound is very obviously not supposed to be happening.
in that case I'd suggest to take a fluid sample and have it analyzed plus change the filter and cut open the old one for inspection. Have it analyzed for ISO 4406 Cleanliness Code, that can also tell you a lot. Post back with your results. There are plenty of videos on YT like this one. Yes, I know it's an engine oil filter but the same principle applies, and in the absence of a filter cutter a hacksaw will work just as well. Just cut out a section of filter media from well away from where you made the hacksaw cuts.
You asked for advice, take what's been offered, oil sampling is the industry standard, for diagnosing hydraulic problems, engine as well. It will reduce the amount of guessing, and give you a window into your machines life blood. The fact that your oil only has 400 hours since changing is irrelevant. If the pump is piling up, or even if its not, oil analysis will give you a base line from which to start from.
The reply came 5 miniutes ago no where did I say I wasn’t taking the advice partner. In other words thanks for the advice nige. I will pick up an oil analysis kit from finning and see what that tells me. Thanks for tip guess I’ll go from there and see what that tells me.
Closing, what was the cause of the loss of hydraulic oil? Has the current problem become worse since it's happened?
The locking pin 90 degree elbow hydraulic line rusted out and broke and it wasn’t noticed and fully drained out. I haven’t noticed any difference with the tilt issue. The noise at the pump when tracking left just started within the last 2 times I’ve used the machine.
Something else I should add to this. I had the hydraulic line blow that goes to the drive the large hose that’s commonly rubbed through on the frame opening of the machine. This was around a year ago. I also had the explanation mark come up on my screen around this time and was told it’s most likely the speed sensor. I haven’t gotten around to hauling the machine to finning to get it scanned but what are the symptoms of a speed sensor wire that’s rubbed through. Wondering if a bad speed sensor could be playing a part to my drive sound when tracking left
Not AFAIK. There are two speed sensors each side built into a common body. If one goes bad it creates a Diagnostic Code but the other one will still continue to operate. There are literally a million & one possible Codes that can go Active on that machine at any given time. Can you ask whoever told you that to let please me know where they bought their crystal ball.? If it's that good I need to get one.
Yea makes sense I figured they monitored each rpm of each drive so if one was not working properly would put more strain on one drive or cause tacking issues. I believe I pulled it off another forum it’s supposed to be a very common problem on my machine and everything else appears to be working properly. But I hear you I’m looking at getting it scanned
Double redundancy principle. Sensor #1 on one side fails and sensor #2 on the same side continues working, or vice versa. There are two sensors per side for this very reason. Don't get me wrong, those sensors are known to fail, but I have never heard of a failed sensor causing the type of mechanical noise that you are hearing on your machine. That said there is a first time for everything I suppose. It's unfortunate that there is no way of getting at the Diagnostic Codes on your machine apart from Cat ET. C & D models the Codes are accessible via the keypad. Do the basics first though. Replace the hydraulic filter and cut the old one open using the video above as a guide. Pull an oil sample and have it analyzed for metals and/or contaminants.
Copy that I appreciate all your help, this weekend I will dig into this and hopefully diagnose some issues. Thank you