Hello all, I have searched everywhere and have come up with nothing on this even at the caterpillar site. So a friend bought a building that came with a Cat T55C forklift. It runs great but it has no brakes. I am an auto mechanic looking to fix it for him and have no idea where to start. The brake pedal actuates a rod that goes into what looks to be a valve body on the top of the transmission? I'm wondering if this is a wet brake setup? In the pictures you can see the rod I'm talking about. I put the tags up as well. If anyone can explain the brake system on this model / how to repair them I would be extremely grateful. Thanks
I'm no CAT expert but does this have two brake pedals? Typically the left one is called an inching pedal, the linkage to the tranny control declutches the drive so you can rev the motor to lift quickly. Look around there should be one or two cast iron master cylinders there someplace and the wheel brakes should be pretty similar to old style drum brakes, a wheel cylinder and two shoes per wheel. YMMV
Unfortunately, technical info on Cat forklifts is on a separate website that you need a dealer login for, and even then the info is pretty scant.
Tilt the mast all way back, chock under it with blocks a snug thickness, tilt it all way forward. Wheels will be off floor. Block under each side of frame, so when tilt cylinders leak down it will not drop. Start pulling the wheel bolts, remove wheels, and view brakes. Should be able to track wheel cylinder lines back to what you are looking for, the brake master cylinder. Wheel cylinders and master cylinder or kits from NAPA. Get shoes relined, They will have mfg numbers on the shoes. Broken springs can be visually/color matched at NAPA. Up until a few years ago NAPA had these listed in the parts books under Caterpillar of Towmotor. If shoes have good thickness, but greasy... Clean with paint thinner, let dry, then burn with a torch. Luck...
Thanks to all for the help and info. Especially the part numbers for an easy source to get them. Now I can take a second look at it and sort it out. I'm sure I will be back with more questions but this will get the ball rolling in the right direction for sure. Cheers
I somehow missed this picture in my initial post. I'm not sure it is needed but just in case here it is.
Nice little truck.. Full Free Lift Triple stage mast, wide drive axle, side shift with a hose reel. If you've seen one T-model, you have seen all T-30,35,40,45,50,55,T60S. Was heart of Cats cushion tire line in its era.