Couple pics from this winter. Tracks are blocked, no road access, no ramps. Find a soft spot and jump.
Last one.
Very cool ! wish u had sum rippers to ease it down i bet , but you do what you can with what you have . were there slips on the line or snow dritfs to push?
i wonder how do you get back on?
nice lookin 6N, had any trouble with the tranny yet??
That how they load and unload pipeline equipment all the time.
It was a rental. Didn't have it long enough to have any trouble. Push up a snow pile and climb back on. Couple small slides and a train stuck in a big avalanche.
excellent pictures, keep them coming. you didn't get hung up on the rail car and deep snow??? also the rotten deck of the car is the same as we used to get up here. thansk KoO Published Author
Few more from that job. On the way to the site and digging out:
Few more... More digging out.
Wow! Great pics!!:drinkup
How long does it take to get a train moving again after something like that? Do you stay overnight on the other train? Pretty country bet it was cold too. Very windy on the side of that mountain?
INcredible pics, thanks for sharing!
Great pics, thanks for sharing!
now that is a lot of snow pushing. did the railcars stay on the track or get pushed off??? thansk KoO Published Author
Awesome pics! Please keep them comming!
Great pictures! I still hate snow. :Banghead
Nice pics! How did you become involved in that type of work?
VERY kool
Those are some great photos! Did they bomb the heck out of the snow above before you went in there?
It took about a week. Because of the avalanche danger, we could only work during the day and when the weather was clear enough to see the mountain. Noone had to spend the night and the weather was pretty mild. Most of them stayed on. A couple were blown well clear of the tracks. Got a job with the railroad in Alaska. I should point out that I'm not one of the operators, these guys work for me. That's why I have time to get good pictures. Yes. Heli-bombed and lots of shells through the howitzer.
Here's some pics of the cleanup of the avalanche. And one of the howitzers.
Some more
Great pics! I like those LGP machines.
there is enough wood there to build a nice cabin over looking the river, LOL great pictures. the power of snow is hard to believe. thansk KoO Published Author
I caught part of Tougher In Alaska last night. Are these the same machines that the host tried to operate? and where you on that show?
Wow. Very cool - literally.
Awesome pics, seems like everything is truly tougher in alaska. You guys are one group of tough SOB's. Trbo
Final cleanup Few more pictures from the final load out.
Few more.
Wow, great pictures! Keep 'em coming!
Wonderful pics! Gotta love the snow...
Fantastic pics! ps are those carts worth the effort?
Very interesting.
Great pictures
Great pics thanks
Wicked Pic !!!
Great pics
great pics of the snow. we used to load and unload over the side of our lowbed as it's gooseneck did not detach. a little worrysome when it was wet and the tracks would slip but never had any issues. keep the pics coming!
Couple more unloading pics. Few more.
Don't you tear up the railroad tracks cleaning them off with a dozer? How do you get there every day a locomotive? What are all those "platforms" ETC your hauling in post 29&30? Keep the pics coming I'd like more info too.
fascinating photos - thanks for posting
As long as the operator is intelligent there's no problem with it they just put the blade down on the rail and go. The area where the slide was is just up the tracks from where there is a crossing and a landing so they can get on at a road crossing with their trucks and hi-rail up to the crossing and get off, from there it's a short trip to the site. The equipment just stayed up there until they where done cleaning up. The pictures in 29 are railcars. The one in 30 that the loader is carrying four of are forklift platforms, they just load them on the ground then a MASSIVE forklift loads the whole platform on a flatcar for transport. That D model 6 has notches cut in the tracks for ease of traveling down the tracks.
very nices pictures.
Whoa amazing. I always wondered how they got trains out of an avalanche. Very interesting thread.
I boondock, and 95Ziv, do you guys work for the same company? Did the cleanup efforts last into the spring, or did you go back and finish up after the snow went off? The link to the 6 with the notched tracks is neat, just get on a go right? does it ever jump out of the notches? Fasinating stuff!!! Great picturesl, post more if you have em!!!
We work for different companies, I boondock works for the Alaska RR itself. I work for a rail testing company and have gone up for the last two years to test that line. The pictures I took of the cleanup were taken on either the 27th or 28th of May. I'm pretty much a equipment nut so when I get the chance I ask a lot of questions and snap a lot of photos, so I get the scoop on stuff like this when I can. I've got pictures of the tracks right after they've been plowed with a dozer but, i'm on my wifes computer, mine is giving me the "blue screen of death" and when I get a replacement I'll post them. This is a link to the company I work for: http://www.hollandco.com/track-testing
nice pic's
Excellent pictures, thanks so much for sharing them.
hi guy,s i was wondering how they got fuel into the equipment,or did they have to walk everything back out thier pickups.
Same as any job, trucks with day tanks or service trucks. Except the trucks have gear that let them run on the rail.