Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D8k/d8n

Dominion 410 ยท 2009-06-08 13:55

Hi, Looking for information or opinions on these two machines.Needed mainly for managing dump site(s) in a variety of materials from earth to rock.Usage will be intermitent but need something reliable.The D8K will be more attractive price wise I'm sure,but there are some decent looking N's and the price is not to bad either. Thanks for any help, Dominion

Replies6
  1. #1JDOFMEMI2009-06-09 00:09

    I would rather have a K than an N. The N is less power and weight, and in my opinion is just not as well made as a K. For a tractor to use part time, I think the K would be a fine choice. There is still good parts availability for them, and they are pretty reliable. The final drives are one thing to watch though. They are good, but if they fail, it is like buying the machine alll over again.

  2. #2CAT D9H2009-06-09 00:28

    I also Like the 8K over the N the K's seem to out perform the N's in every way imaginable , now if you find a D8L , then it'd be a different story

  3. #3Tinkerer2009-06-09 22:33

    I put many hours on both models The K's are powerful dozers but they will ruin your hearing if the rubber bushings are worn out where the ROPS attaches to the frame. Even with ear plugs and earmuffs on ! The 8N is lighter and less powerfull. We once put a brand new 8N I was running blade to blade with an 8K . The K could push the 8N backwards with no problem. The 8N was my favorite. It has a better muffler, MUCH faster and more blade tilt and a better seat. I think the best thing the 8N had going for it is the continuous power to the both tracks when turning. Also the 8N's triangular tracks were a lot easier to clean in freezing weather. With all things considered I could get a lot more production in any conditions out of an 8N.

  4. #4Motat2009-06-10 03:34

    I have previously mentioned in another post regarding D8 N vs Komastu 155 that Cat downsizes the Cat line and therefore the 8 N is much lighter than an 8 K. Same as 8L in now a D9 [something ] though not up with all the latest Letters . Many people here have put D9 decals on D8 Ls here. Dont know why cat did this .??? IE D4 H is now basically a D5 and D4 is Basicaally now D3 . As for D 6 s They vary from a D7 size down to a D 5 size,and have got thourally confuseing. Regards

  5. #5ben46a2009-06-10 18:20

    D8Ks were good machines, But parts availability and general fatique have taken there toll as most machines have many, many hours on them., i think id go with the D8N.

  6. #6Peter Kennedy2009-06-11 07:18

    Give me an D8K anytime!