Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat V50C Forklift Continental Engine Problems

rustyjames ยท 2018-06-05 16:40

Hi fellow members, I've got what I believe is a Continental F227 engine, propane, that's in need of repair and I wanted to run the situation through the forum for suggestions. Lift won't idle too well so did a compression check, here's the results: (1) = 130 (2) = 125 (3) = 107 (4) = 0 (5) = 120 (6) = 150 #4 plug looks like a new one, but seemed like it was a little wet. The machine operates well, other wise, no leaks, very good tires, etc. I'm divided on whether to yank the head, or just sell it as is. Reason being I have way too many project started! TIA for any input.

Replies8
  1. #1Theweldor2018-06-07 21:46

    Squirt a couple pumps of some heavy motor oil in #4 cylinder and check it again. If the compression comes up it may give you a bit of an idea if it is rings or a bad valve.

  2. #2TD242018-06-07 23:53

    Pull the head and replace the head gasket. Most likely problem with a 4 or 6 cyl Continental.

  3. #3TD242018-06-08 18:42

    OOPS.... Is the distributor mounted on top and thru the head, or alongside the engine block?

  4. #4rustyjames2018-06-09 09:33

    Thanks for the responses. The distributor is on the head. I'm going to start by pulling the head, but I still think it's probably a valve issue, hopefully not piston.

  5. #5TD242018-06-09 13:33

    E mail me at : [email protected] . May be able to outline further details of your proceeding if it is a head gasket. RJ

  6. #6rustyjames2018-06-09 18:08

    @RJ: I sent you an email. Was going to pull the head today but went to remove the distributor and it's frozen in place, big time. I soaked it with penetrant. Anyone have any suggestions for busting it loose? I'm thinking about trying my 3' pipewrench for starters. I noticed a 12 point bolt next to the distributor base, that's not holding it in addition to the clamp is it?

  7. #7Wes J2018-06-09 21:36

    Dunno if you have any interest, but I have a rebuilt F245 for sale. It's set up for a Clark, but could easily be converted to a Cat spec.

  8. #8rustyjames2018-06-10 09:12

    Wes, If this engine is kaput I'll certainly consider it, Thanks for mentioning.