Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat955k alarm

Cat955kMI · 2023-12-22 07:45

Good morning to all and Merry Christmas!! I have a cat955k and it just started alarming. Fluids look ok but as soon as you start it you get a solid tone alarm. Does this have a filter I am missing or something? Any ideas what the alarm means? Any help would be very much appreciated. Thank you in advance. Also, I am no mechanic. I work in the IT industry so please feel free to dumb down any information.

Replies16
  1. #1Nige2023-12-22 08:18

    Is the alarm accompanied by a flashing light or lights.? If so please can you post a photo of the panel indicating which light it is.

  2. #2Cat955kMI2023-12-22 08:21

    Thank you for the reply. I will work on getting a photo and the information you asked for. It will probably be tomorrow sometime.

  3. #3Nige2023-12-22 08:32

    You could also assist by posting a Serial Number for the machine. I take it that you don’t have a manual for it.?

  4. #4Cat955kMI2023-12-22 08:36

    I do have them but the house is currently undergoing renovations and all my stuff is packed. I will get you the serial number for you in addition to photos. More update on the loader. The alarm starts before you start the machine and then persists. Could it be a battery issue?

  5. #5Nige2023-12-22 09:14

    Could be quite a few things. Until we see a photo of what’s happening on the panel it’s all conjecture.

  6. #6Cat955kMI2023-12-22 09:52

    Here are the photos you requested. Thank you for taking a look.

  7. #7Cat955kMI2023-12-22 09:55

    Just realized the photo my dad sent me was with the machine off. Getting the correct photo.

  8. #8Nige2023-12-22 10:03

    It's going to need someone with access to the same manuals you have, or personal knowledge. The online system doesn't go back far enough to include manuals for the 61H-prefix machine. Can someone measure the voltage across each of the batteries (separately) both with the machine switched off and with it switched on for a kick-off.?

  9. #9Cat955kMI2023-12-22 10:11

    Yes we can do that.

  10. #10Nige2023-12-22 10:14

    Please make sure that whoever does the test puts both the probes of the multimeter absolutely smack on the centre of each battery post. Erroneous readings can result doing it any other way.

  11. #11Cat955kMI2023-12-22 10:18

    Will do.

  12. #12Cat955kMI2023-12-22 11:19

    This is of the machine running.

  13. #13dust eater2023-12-22 18:59

    I could be wrong but I don't remember Cat loaders having any alarms until the rear engine machines. unless it's some kind of after market thing like a Murphy switch

  14. #14Welder Dave2023-12-23 00:47

    Yeah, a 955K is going back to late 60's, early 70's. Could the alarm be for the glow plugs maybe? If not something like a murphy switch maybe?

  15. #15Rusted2023-12-23 06:55

    Any aural alarm on a 955K is aftermarket, the gauges in the pic are all they came with (amazingly enough they look to be original). 61H 1408 shows as 1967 build in the book I have.

  16. #16Dave Neubert2023-12-23 08:30

    I have seen this alarm on 955s it is one light probably hooked up to temperature or oil pressure if you gauges are reading normal I would not worry about it.Trace the wire back its source they are color coded should go to a switch of some kind.