Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Caterpillar 14L AWD

Graderfan1981 ยท 2016-01-24 17:25

I have find an article about a special Caterpillar Grader version which "Oasis Trading and Equipment" has introduced. The type called "14L AWD": http://www.constructionweekonline.com/article-34324-oasis-optimised-caterpillar-digging-the-dunes/ This grader is introduced for grading sand, because it has a better traction.

Videos in this topic

Browse the full video library

Replies16
  1. #1Fatgraderman2016-01-24 18:43

    That thing would be quite the beast.

  2. #2DB22016-01-24 19:08

    L series? Non North American market?

  3. #3Cat 140M AWD2016-01-24 23:50

    that's the exact same machine the M series is in the states

  4. #4DB22016-01-25 00:01

    I don't see an AWD 14M listed on the CAT site

  5. #5Graderfan19812016-01-25 04:40

    I think the reason is that this is a special rebuilt one from "Oasis Trading and Equipment". It is sad that CAT don't offer AWD on the 12M, 14M,16M and so on . More power is always good for a grader

  6. #6Mark2502016-01-26 06:31

    cat do offer the AWD on the 120M ,140, and 160M

  7. #7DB22016-01-26 07:13

    Judging by the front hubs as compared to a 14M it could definitely be AWD. Not sure what to make of this

  8. #8Graderfan19812016-01-27 14:19

    Yes I know, but not on the other series which I have named.

  9. #9cuttin edge2016-01-27 19:19

    We rented a big John Deere once. I don't even remember the size...something 72D. It was a beast. I don't think I ever used the 6 wheel drive. The only thing I figured that I wanted to try about it was the creep mode for fine grading along a curb. Our Maintainer graders are driven by hydraulic motors, and they can be a nightmare when things go wrong. I can only surmise that these could be the same. I did run an old Austen Weston, and with the screamin detroit, and the direct drive, it was a real beast...if you didn't mind standing in a hole, and the pedals being reversed.

  10. #10Fatgraderman2016-01-30 18:48

    What was that thing like turning tight corners? Was it fighting itself? Reason I ask is I always thought that with a long wheelbase, you see in the tire tracks that the front tires make a way larger circle then the rears so I figured they have to spin a hair faster cornering then the rears. But I don't even know anybody left around here that has ran an old Austin Western. Most of the six wheel drives have had some trouble (at least the old ones), seemed like the JD's had had the least amount of trouble. I'm just not sure about counting on that hydraulic front wheel drive when it's -40. Having seen a couple of different brands in the shops, they don't look like much fun to work on either. But I've been told that it's incredible what the 6 wheel drives will do.

  11. #11cuttin edge2016-01-30 19:51

    The front didn't turn very sharp, but the rear wheels were on a turntable, so the rear would swing sharp. I remember that the front wing mast had 2 lift pistons. One for the front, and one for the rear The cable ran over the top of the pulley then down through another, back to the rear mast,up to another pulley, and then down to the rear of the wing. It was funky, but the wing came up really fast. When the rear wheels were cut around, you had to be careful that the cable didn't catch the tires. This one had a steering wheel, but there was another one there with a tiller, and no wheel. Keep in mind that this was only 10 years ago, and I think they still plow with one of them. Anyway I'm not putting the 6 wheel drive down, I have never been in need of it, and you never see a lot of them around, so I'm thinking it's just one of those things that you need to decide if it's worth the money I guess.

  12. #12JPV2016-01-30 23:44

    I run a 140G with front wheel assist and it is great. I never thought I needed it until I ran a grader with it. The company I work for builds and maintains logging roads in th Pacific Northwest so we have a lot of steep narrow roads. The difference between 2wd and awd on a grader is the same as a 2wd and 4wd in a pickup in the woods. You don't need it most of the time but it can bail a guy out of a bad spot! It is nice to be able to carry a full blade of material up hill around a steep switch back and keep the front right where you want it. It sounds like it isn't good if it gives trouble so I try to take it easy on it but so far so good.

  13. #131432016-02-03 12:00

    Hello everybody I'm new to this forum, but have been lurking around here for a while. When I saw the 14L I googled it and found it on you tube, and to me it looks like a 160M with bigger tyres. The lift cylinders looks longer than they are on the 14 and the ripper only has 5 shanks. Best regards Peter

  14. #14Joe952016-02-24 14:55

    The M2 and M3 series offer a 12, 140, and 160 with AWD.

  15. #15Graderfan19812016-02-24 17:04

    You're right, the 12M from the "bigger" series is the only one which is available with AWD too: http://www.cat.com/en_US/products/new/equipment/motor-graders/m-series-motor-graders/18552890.html The series with the 0 have all AWD.

  16. #16Graderfan19812016-05-03 14:27

    I have find a video from the 14L Grader: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1Uavl8KoTI