Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Caterpillar 225B engine replacement

hunterdog967 · 2023-02-04 09:26

I have a 225 B with a bad engine, engine ser # break 7NV14935 , part # 7C4733 (tag missing off engine so these numbers are from machine serial number) , found a few engines but not sure they are compatible. One is out of a 235B engine ser # 13Z7852 arrangement 5C8590 and the other is available from a 973 B no numbers yet . Any advice would be appreciated .

Replies18
  1. #1Nige2023-02-04 14:04

    Regarding the suitability of the 235B engine 13Z7852, this is a 3306 engine rated at 215 Gross BHP @ 2200. The 973 would also be a 3306 in the range 210-230 BHP. BTW there is no 973B, the range goes straight from 973 to 973C. Your original engine 79V14935 is a 3208 with 160 Gross BHP @ 2200. I wouldn't say either of the options would work easily as a drop-in, or the amount of work required for the conversion would make it inadvisable.

  2. #2Steve Frazier2023-02-04 18:24

    When I saw the title I remembered the 225 having the 3208. Nige, is the much if any difference between the 3208 used in machines and trucks? To the untrained eye they appear the same.

  3. #3Nige2023-02-04 19:47

    There must be a million and one different arrangements of 3208. Machine engine, truck engine, industrial engine, genset engine, marine engine, they all share the same basic genes........ How much commonality there might be between two particular 3208 engine arrangements it's a case of plug both the arrangement numbers into the comparator and see what it says has to be removed/installed from one to make the other.

  4. #4ahart2023-02-04 20:38

    I wouldn’t be sure a 3306 would fit in a 225, we had one on the farm and it had a 3304 and I don’t recall there being any extra room in there. Side note, the 225 with a 3304 was built for export, the 3208 machines were for US market, at least thats what I thought to be true when we had one.

  5. #5Nige2023-02-04 22:10

    It's the 3YD-prefix 225B that has the 3304 engine, the 2ZD machine has the 3208. Look out for two engine arrangements, 7C4735 or 6C1887.

  6. #6ahart2023-02-05 07:52

    The one we had was prehistoric, 76U

  7. #7Shimmy12023-02-05 10:17

    I think you'd be way better off fitting a B-series Cummins into that machine. If you can figure out the pump drive.

  8. #8Nige2023-02-05 10:34

    Ah, a 1st-generation 225 as opposed to a 225B.

  9. #9hunterdog9672023-02-08 12:30

    I found a 3208 ser #79V14935 can you tell me if its compatible in your opinion . I'm going to do some research but would like some input if possible .

  10. #10Nige2023-02-08 12:39

    Isn't 79V14935 the Serial Number of the currently-installed engine.? (You mis-typed it as 7NV14935 in your OP)

  11. #11hunterdog9672023-02-08 12:51

    With original machine serial number the original engine arrangement number is 7C4733 . The engine I found has an arrangement number 4W0859 . Sorry for confusion

  12. #12Nige2023-02-08 13:03

    That's an industrial fire pump engine rated 215 BHP @ 2800 RPM compared to your engine's 160 BHP @ 2200 RPM. I assume that your preference would be for it to be a drop-in but that won't work. Let me dig deeper but to date your current engine I need a machine Serial Number to get the Change Level of the installed engine. EDIT: I think I found enough to tell you that most of the basic englne (cyl block, crank, pistons/rods, camshaft, fuel injectors) is the same as your engine. Below are the differences: - Cyl heads. This may be no more than an updated P/N. I need to check. Fuel injection pump and governor assembly. Flywheel and flywheel housing. Front housing. Crankshaft damper. Engine oil cooler. Water and oil lines. Intake & exhaust manifolds. Oil pan.

  13. #13hunterdog9672023-02-08 13:17

    225B Serial number 2ZD01002

  14. #14Nige2023-02-08 13:34

    The original engine S/N for that machine is 79V17028, built Nov 1987. Arrgt is 7C4733 CHG03. To make the comparison more accurate have you got the S/N of the fire pump engine.?

  15. #15hunterdog9672023-02-08 13:40

    90N74939

  16. #16Nige2023-02-08 13:53

    So that is a 4W0859 CHG09 built Feb 1994. When the actual specs of the two engines "as built" are compared the cylinder heads are the same P/N - 1W4241. There was an updated cylinder head installed in later versions of the 4C4733 Engine. So the swap is physically doable, but there is a long list of parts (see above) that will have to come off your existing engine and be installed on the replacement.

  17. #17hunterdog9672023-02-08 14:46

    Okay thanks Nige appreciate the information

  18. #18Nige2023-02-08 16:08

    It is obviously a less than ideal option, but at least it's an option.