Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Volvo EC210cl intermittent throttle issue

Lagwagon · 2023-02-04 09:19

Here is a video of the issue. https://youtube.com/shorts/i0ZSIs3B_yk?feature=share S/N: vcec210cp00111851 2012 model, 5100 hrs Serviced by the book, good condition. Issue is the machine randomly bogs down very abruptly with no warning. Will go from any rpm to 600-700 then abruptly back up to what ever it was set on the dial. Even if it has auto decelerated to 1000rpm it can still then bog down. I can’t observe any pattern other than it normally happens shortly after start-up, but can happen at any time. Can run for 2 hrs without doing it also and doesn’t matter if the pumps are being stroked or not. It can do it at idle too. My first thought was fuel starvation so pulled both filter heads and cleaned but they looked fine anyway, replaced both filters. Prior to this issue machine had sat for 3 weeks where it had done about 4 hrs work after I had ran through the valve clearance adjustment procedure. Not a fun job due to the IEGR system but I did it as per the directions and triple checked everything. Also while I had the machine in the shop I threw in a 20l drum of hyd oil as it was low but I was too lazy to check proper level due to machine not in correct position and I’ve over filled it, at least an inch higher than top level in sight glass. I don’t think these two things have anything to do with the issue as it did run fine when I put it back to work but thought it was worth mentioning. Any input greatly appreciated. Thanks

Videos in this topic

Browse the full video library

Replies62
  1. #1uffex2023-02-04 10:19

    Good day What errors come up in service mode? From your post I get the idea that the issue is of an electronic nature. Kind regards Uffex

  2. #2Lagwagon2023-02-04 19:29

    This error has popped up 7 times over the life of the machine, but not since 2019 and previous to that 2013. There’s nothing else other than 1 x low fuel error last year. I’ve briefly looked over the wiring harness and checked all fuses and can’t see anything amiss.

  3. #3uffex2023-02-05 05:08

    Good day I have discounted an auto idle fault and as there is no error relating to the shut down, I would suspect the speed control switch. To trouble shoot the issue each time this event has occurred did you have the same speed selected? Try knocking it down or up one from your normal selection and let us see if it shuts down. Kind regards Uffex

  4. #4Lagwagon2023-02-05 06:10

    It does not matter what speed I have selected, it will do it at any time, any rpm. One day I started the machine and after 20 seconds at idle ~800 rpm it did it, dropped to ~600 then back up to idle. There is no rhyme or reason to it that I have observed.

  5. #5uffex2023-02-05 10:10

    Good day As a remote observer it appears that the fault is not registering any error, if the speed controller SW2701 makes a change the ECU will accept the signal to be normal. My thinking is to begin with what generates the speed signal, the switch SW2701. Unfortunately the issue is of an intermittent nature, I would be looking for a poor connector or damaged diode-resistor. Attached is the best information I can give at present. Kind regards Uffex

  6. #6funwithfuel2023-02-07 06:35

    Do you know how to access the service screen? In service, you should be able to monitor throttle control voltage. You can operate in service. Just keep an eye on the voltage, if you suddenly drop from your preset voltage to .5v that would indicate an electrical fault. I would feel safe ruling out fuel starvation, both low side and high side pressures are monitored and if either dropped for even a moment, it would have logged an error. I'm guessing either a poor or corroded connection. Good luck.

  7. #7Lagwagon2023-02-07 07:32

    Is it the same service screen to view faults? I’ve been in there that’s it. Yeah I think your spot-on FWF as I have lost my wipers some time ago also, replaced broken fuse, worked for a bit then stopped again but this time fuse hasn’t blown. Where would you suggest I start tearing into looking for the suspect wires? cheers

  8. #8funwithfuel2023-02-07 07:40

    In your fuse/relay panel there are 2 unique relays. 4 pin heavy duty. Like 70amp service if memory serves. Should be 3101 and 3102. Try swapping them, just for testing purposes. I will get some more detailed info later today or tomorrow. Running like a headless chicken right now. Also. Check all the plugs at the bottom of fuse/relay PCB. Don't wiggle em, just release the lock , pull them straight off and plug them back in. We don't want to crack the board, but we want to knock and chalky corrosion off. Check pins and sockets, looking for bent, broken or corroded. Make note or rake pics of which ones, if any. You find issue with. We can backtrace from there. Good luck

  9. #9uffex2023-02-07 07:40

    What kept you?

  10. #10funwithfuel2023-02-07 10:08

    A headless chicken has no direction. It just goes n goes.

  11. #11funwithfuel2023-02-07 16:33

    Please look over the following schematics. SW2701 is throttle control. Everything Purple on the schematic is PCB in the fuse/relay box. Notice how RE3101 feeds the VECU. The VECU sends 5 volts out to the switch, the switch sends back .5 to 4.5 volts depending on position. If the relay is getting lazy or breaking down, you could lose power to the VECU independent of the E-ECU. So the engine might stay running. This should generate 187-231-9 or 140-231-9, but weirder things have happened.

  12. #12Lagwagon2023-02-09 02:37

    Swapped the relays as you suggested and no change. Couldn’t see any diode-resistors off-colour, bent, disturbed etc. I got into the service mode but couldn’t see any throttle control voltage, just the I-ecu, V-ecu, E-ecu voltages and they didn’t change when it bogged down. Sat around 27-28v In fuse panel removed all plugs and all were clean, no corrosion, loose connections, bent pins or anything amiss. Removed large red cable to get one of the plugs out. I couldn’t help but wiggle the plugs somewhat as they were super tight, I was as careful as can be. Turned machine on and it started throwing fault codes and bogging down twice as bad as previously. I’ve obviously upset it more so it must be a connection around the plugs. Someone has been in here before as theres a few extra wires which I’m assuming are for the fire suppression system and what struck me was how tight a fit all the wires are especially around the inlet so much that the bottom centre plug was hard to pull out and put in and there is pressure on all the small wires. I’m wondering if the wiper issue I have could be related and could help me narrow down the plug to go dig deeper into. My window washer and wipers don’t work but fuse is good, both washer motors work when powered manually and both earths are good.

  13. #13Lagwagon2023-02-09 02:47

    The fault codes

  14. #14sfrs42023-02-09 08:17

    All those codes are because you unplugged everything, so it has registered a loss of signal between ECU's. The last one may require a reset Fault mode PPID 1365 FMI 11 Detection conditions:The instrument control unit (I-ECU) registers: mismatch the X1 setting values between I-ECU and V-ECU Symptom: ○ Yellow central warning ○ Alarm sounds 4 times ○ "Check" screen Possible causes: ○ X1 setting (flow, pressure, control, attach) is not matched between I-ECU and V-ECU ○ Main software (MSW) of V-ECU or I-ECU is changed. Action Select and confirm "X1 work tool" in I-ECU Hydraulics menu for synchronizing tool selection. Check the installed X1 option parameters.

  15. #15funwithfuel2023-02-09 08:47

    As sfrs4 mentioned, the only active is lack of hammer shear profile. Everything else is inactive and tied to the instrument panel.

  16. #16funwithfuel2023-02-11 08:47

    How are things shaping up? Do you have any new codes to shed light on your situation? I thought about your wiper concern. That could be the wiper cut out switch. On the tipping windscreen channel, there should be a switch that closes when the windscreen is fully locked in place. That is a safety so that you don't accidentally get smacked in the face with a wiper if the window is up.

  17. #17Lagwagon2023-02-11 17:55

    I’ve been blue-ass fly busy and haven’t had the time to investigate further but I’m heading up to the machine now with a Ute load of tools and my patience hat on. Thanks for the follow up and tip on w/wiper. Will report back

  18. #18Lagwagon2023-02-11 23:58

    Spot-on with the wiper switch, it wasn’t engaging when window locked in. All I did was bend the small metal actuator back a hair and bobs your uncle. I believe I have a similar issue with the lower wiper as it’s not working and no window sprayer for top or bottom too. I tried manually activating the switch but nothing. I’ll worry about this another time as I need to address the idle issue first. I opened up the RH console and disconnected the throttle control, in the pic you can see I’ve removed the 4 bolts from the small board but I can’t see myself getting it out without cracking. I would have to pry out with something and I dont like my chances. It’s tight in there. Checked all other connections and can’t see any issues. All pins and connectors are clean and shiny. Whilst machine running I jiggled all the wires coming out of the main harness in a bid to trigger the issue but nothing. Then went back into the fuse board and jiggled all fuses and connectors and every separate wire going in to each plug and still nothing. Did the same to all exposed harness around engine and nothing. I’m at a loss now. Next move was to pull the belly plates under the cab and see if anything is amiss under there. no extra codes thrown today and the x1 fault has cleared itself and no longer active.

  19. #19funwithfuel2023-02-12 09:20

    Lag' i just finally got the video in your first post to load and play. You are clearly losing the signal from the throttle control dial. Man I wish I had seen this sooner. When the VECU cuts out, the fuel gauge drops to empty. The fact that your fuel level maintains but throttle position jumps from I to H says that the signal is lost. The fact you are not logging an error for voltage high, voltage low says that the wiring is more than likely in good shape. I would strongly suggest checking the harness from the right armrest where it passes into the floor. I do vaguely remember a mandatory product update back when they first came out. It involved removing the seat and inspecting those harnesses for chafing and fitting a heavy denim/canvas wrap with velcro to additionally protect from abrasion. This is where the harnesses get all the abuse. Up and down, fore and aft, plus God only knows what the operators shove behind the seat. (Nudie books, beer cans, half eaten sandwiches, shovels and picks) Good luck

  20. #20funwithfuel2023-02-12 09:21

    No, we don't mess with the throttle control assembly. Nothing really serviceable in there.

  21. #21funwithfuel2023-02-12 09:23

    "Blue-ass fly" I'm not familiar. Is that a very busy bug?

  22. #22Lagwagon2023-02-12 21:12

    I may…..or may not of found the problem. Firstly I went into the RH console deeper a couldn’t see where I could test further without opening up the big sheathing of the harness which I’m loath to do. so ran the machine and worked the harness from the console back to fuse board trying to bend and kink it which was near impossible in some parts as it’s so big and stiff, again in a bid to trigger the issue….nothing. I would have thought in this instance a shorting wire would have definitely shown considering this issue comes and goes even with machine at idle and me not in the seat, so no movement whatsoever around the wires. All the harness is moving freely where it needs to be and the pilot lines are in the thick canvas Velcro wrap like you mentioned. got me thinking could of I disrupted something when doing the valve job, even the IEGR solenoid, hell anything around the engine, just want to exhaust all options before opening up the harness. I worked all the harness to injectors but nothing. Pulled the cover back from the top of the engine and found 3 of the injector wires are twisted and resting on each other and more or less worn through at least 2 layers (see pic, zoom in) Could this trigger the issue? I would have thought a code would get thrown but I don’t know. I tried forcing the wires together to manually short them but nothing happened. Then ran the machine for 10 minutes and no issue. Can’t tell if this means the wires rubbing through is the issue as like I said earlier I could run the machine for an hr or two and the issue won’t come up. It normally always does shortly after starting so I’ll come back tonight and give it another try.

  23. #23funwithfuel2023-02-12 21:39

    If the injector wires were shorted, even for a moment, it should have tripped voltage low on whichever solenoid was shorted. That and any time there is a fault in the fuel system, the display will show fuel system failure, stop machine! It's not impossible, just improbable. I'm just glad it's running now. Let's hope it stays that way.

  24. #24Lagwagon2023-02-13 03:59

    Sadly no, problem persists and appears to be getting worse with bouts of ‘bogging down’ lasting longer. Pulled open the LH console, worked all wires, harness and connections. Still nothing I can draw conclusions with. Tried manual mode and it ran fine, albeit only for 5 minutes. Got a couple extra codes today but I’m guessing they are to do with all the connections Ive unplugged. maybe I need to start looking into dodgy diode/resistors like Uffex mentioned earlier or should I just bite the bullet and buy a new throttle controller?

  25. #25Lagwagon2023-02-13 04:13

    Something I noticed accidentally was when I flicked into manual mode. The machine bogged down like the exact same way. The book says you are not suppose to change to manual with machine running…….I read this after the fact. The manual/auto switch looks fine with all connections free of corrosion but I’m wondering if there could be some arcing across the internals. Anyway grasping at straws a bit I know but trying not to overlook anything.

  26. #26funwithfuel2023-02-13 11:47

    Are you reading the errors out of the service messages or just off the operator display? There's a difference. That could help us.

  27. #27sfrs42023-02-13 11:53

    PID 91 Fault mode FMI 9 Detection conditions: The engine control unit (E-ECU) registers: that bus communication is missing with V-ECU on J1708/J1587 Symptom: ○ Yellow central warning ○ Alarm sounds 4 times ○ "Check" screen Possible causes: ○ Open circuit on bus communication (cable harness) ○ Short-circuit to voltage on information link ○ Short-circuit to frame ground on information link ○ Leads in information link short-circuited to each other ○ Electric interference on the bus signal Action SAE J1708/1587 information link, description and measuring Use Guided Diagnostics

  28. #28funwithfuel2023-02-13 11:55

    Yeah, he triggered that one with the auto/manual switch.

  29. #29Lagwagon2023-02-13 18:11

    I’m going into service mode and scrolling down to messages. This issue hasn’t thrown any codes still, only codes have come from disconnecting plugs etc.. they clear themselves once reconnected.

  30. #30funwithfuel2023-02-13 19:27

    That just takes me back to the throttle control throwing false values to the VECU.

  31. #31Lagwagon2023-02-14 03:31

    Copy, I’ll follow that lead but I won’t be back to the machine for a week or two. Thankyou for your help thus far.

  32. #32Raycoray2023-02-19 15:26

    Have same machine - I’m going to replace badly worn hoses in low pressure fuel side I noticed them sweating on low pressure side of fuel system today. Do you think your issue could be a fuel issue ?

  33. #33funwithfuel2023-02-19 17:15

    If you look at the video linked in the first post, you can see where the throttle position that the network sees is dropping off from full throttle to idle. That compounded with no error codes for low fuel pressure in either circuit says it's a control problem vs a mechanical issue. I like the way you're thinking.

  34. #34Lagwagon2023-02-25 07:23

    Spent most of today on the machine and things have escalated. Before I write a long winded post covering what I’ve tested and done I want to take the rocker cover off to take some pics and to also remove the IEGR system and try running the machine without it. Does anyone know if this is safe to do? Have run it today with solenoid unplugged, so the system not engaging, with no issues. I have enough correct size bolts for the rocker arm holders as I have the old set from when I did the initial valve adjustment. I can’t see there being an issue as when the system isn’t engaged by the solenoid none of the IEGR pistons are contacting the rocker arms.

  35. #35Lagwagon2023-03-01 08:21

    " https://rumble.com/embed/v28rbp2/?pub Back foraging again through wiring today with no success and still not getting any fault codes. Issue appears to be getting worse, I’m trying to upload video( see above) not sure it will work but engine loses throttle and now won’t jump back to preselected rpm. Something is really pulling the engine down almost wanting to stall it. It’ll only jump back to previous rpm if you turn the dial, only needs to be one notch. So far I’ve unplugged all ECU’s and checked every wire connection at every plug from both armrests, behind the seat and down to fuse board. Blown out all plugs, none were dirty/chalky. No abraded wires. Opened up V-ECU, tiny bit of dust ingress but wouldn’t have thought anywhere near enough to cause an issue. Board looked fine, to my eye anyway. Tested all diodes and resistors on fuse/relay board, removable ones I took out to test, the rest I couldn’t and from what I can remember you need to have them removed from the board to get true reading but anyway as it was they all test perfect. Swapped relays 3301 & 3302 also. Would next step be to test throttle controller voltages? I can see in one of the schematic documents there is a testing procure page but I don’t quite understand it, can read hydraulic schematics ok but not wiring sadly. Other thing that crossed my Mind is a grounding issue but I couldn’t see any in the Relay board or anywhere else other than on the cover of the E-ECU.

  36. #36funwithfuel2023-03-01 11:26

    Monitor your pilot control sensors. The ones that tell the computer that you're working. It might be going into auto idle if it loses the value. Maybe.

  37. #37funwithfuel2023-03-01 20:37

    So looking at the parameters list, it doesn't appear that the IECU has any influence as I originally thought. The throttle control is not a dual opposing resistor as I originally thought. It is a pulse generator and it actually relies on a B+ signal feed. I will attach the throttle control docs in a later post.

  38. #38funwithfuel2023-03-01 20:45

    Properly checking the switch.

  39. #39Lagwagon2023-03-02 07:34

    Thankyou for all this FWF. I think the machine is jumping in and out of manual mode. It’s now so bad it basically stays there, 730rpm just like in manual mode, can hardly do any function. Normal idle and auto decel idle sits at 790rpm. When it goes to manual I can’t select auto decel button, just nothing and I was trying to get the bucket off at a snails pace and noticed I could not turn off the quick hitch buzzer. It’s almost like all the consoles are losing power. I mentioned earlier how I turned manual mode on while machine running and the machine jolted down just like it has been in auto. Now it seems every second time I turn the key I’m getting the red ECU computer failure screen and I can’t start it, turn key off and on again and it will start then I get the following code. Is this the code you get after turning machine over to manual? It doesn’t remain active. I’ve had this code numerous times since I’ve been troubleshooting and sfrs4 said it was from unplugging everything. I also got the x3 error logged today but I couldn’t recall seeing it. I didnt unplug anything except check a few fuses today.

  40. #40funwithfuel2023-03-02 09:41

    PSID 216-9 indicates a short or open on the CAN BUS. The IECU can't communicate with the VECU. That very well could be triggered by a faulty connection powering the VECU. Could be generated by the bypass switch. BTW that switch is temperamental on its own. A little dust gets in it and you lose hair by the handful. I usually recommend replacing if you bump them. It's pricey but so worth it for your mental health PPID 1144-09 indicates both networks are down.

  41. #41Lagwagon2023-03-02 18:39

    Ok so just to confirm we are talking SW9103? There is plenty of dust behind the seat but all the ECU connections were well sealed and look good. The air ducting on both sides had separated at a joint up against the back of the cab allowing dust in bypassing the filter. Must be a common problem as this happened in my other machine too. I put screws in at the join to hold it.

  42. #42funwithfuel2023-03-02 20:51

    I'm thinking that either the EMS or throttle controller could be sending intermittent or erroneous signals to the IECU & VECU. If the IECU is looking for the VECU that's where those errors are generated. I'm still leaning on power supply voltage interrupting the VECU

  43. #43sfrs42023-03-03 04:21

    So yeah the first code is as before, I will attach the how to check the Can bus wiring But without the breakout loom it could be difficult to check everything, it's sounding like there is something wrong there, could be the termination resistors could be the wires. Have you added any wiring for anything recently? 2 way, new radio, extra lights? anything that could be drawing a current with wires running next to the canbus wiring? Fault mode FMI 9 Detection conditions: The instrument control unit (I-ECU) registers: that bus communication is missing with V-ECU on CAN/J1939 Symptom: ○ Yellow central warning ○ Alarm sounds 4 times ○ "Check" screen Possible causes: ○ Open circuit on bus communication (cable harness) ○ Short-circuit to voltage on control link (SAE J1939) ○ Short-circuit to frame ground on control link (SAE J1939) ○ Leads in control link (SAE J1939) short-circuited to each other ○ Electric interference on the bus signal Action SAE J1939/CAN control link, description and measuring Use Guided Diagnostics THE SECOND ONE Fault mode FMI 9 Detection conditions:The instrument control unit (I-ECU) registers: missing the signal (IA15) and both bus communications failed Symptom: ○ Red central warning ○ Alarm sounds continuously ○ "Warning" screen ○ V-ECU function can not work correctly ○ The engine can not start ○ The starter motor can not work Possible causes: ○ Open/short circuit in cable harness ○ Defective vehicle control unit (V-ECU) Action MID 140 PPID 1144, description and measuring It is leaning towards failing wiring on the can bus side, that or failure of the I-ECU as this seems to be the common denominator in the faults

  44. #44Lagwagon2023-03-08 21:40

    Thanks sfrs4, very helpful. Tested the can-bus as per procedure for the most part. everything tested fine apart from: VC15-VC16 as I had nowhere to probe with plugs connected, I did test the resistance with plug out and got 120Ω In regards to the 1144 code testing, do you think the ‘EC60’ measuring point should be VC60? I’m unsure where EC60 is. Anyhow I tested VC60 to IA15 with no resistance however can not get any good voltage reading out of IA15 (red/yellow wire) I tried grounding to the cab in a couple of places and also the ground lug near IECU and got 0.1v what’s the deal with the ground symblol in the document? Looks a little different, should I be looking for a specific ground? I opened up IECU and it looks clean and tidy, no burn marks. I have not added any electrical additions however the machine does have a fire suppression system. If unplugged I get no power to key. Opened up the control unit and tried swapping over the 2 x relays. Noticed a burn mark on the board Which goes from the heat sink across some fets and to a capacitor, you can just make it out in the picture. Don’t think this unit affects the machines ECU’s until it’s manually activated but thought it was worth a mention.

  45. #45sfrs42023-03-09 04:02

    So if it becomes unplugged it removes power to the ignition? which in turn would momentarily shut power off to the ecu's? this could be worth investigating further

  46. #46Lagwagon2023-03-09 06:42

    Unplugged is as if the machine has been isolated. Ive checked all of its wiring and connections inside the control unit and all pass Other than the evidence of heat damage. I don’t think it’s related as I still get power to key with the error and warning screen preventing me from starting. I think if I lost power to the fire system the machine would cut out altogether but I could be wrong, maybe it acts similarly to an emergency stop button which incidentally the machine as 2 x also that I have not tested.

  47. #47funwithfuel2023-03-09 18:53

    V for vehicle, I for instrument, E for engine. So they're asking you to measure CAN circuit at engine ECU as well.

  48. #48Lagwagon2023-03-13 19:20

    im aware of the naming convention for the computers and where they are located and neither of the testing procedures in either document refer to the ECU. The associated SCH02 wiring diagram also has no EC60. From what I can gather the second character, ‘c’ in this instance, refers to the plug, so there must be at least three plugs on the unit. The IECU has 3, the ECU has 2. It must be a typo

  49. #49funwithfuel2023-03-13 19:41

    I mis spoke. If you look at VECU in sch 2 VC60 is at the tip top of the VECU leading to IA15, which is exactly what the troubleshooting wants you to verify. I am unaware of any 3rd plug. Now in the older E-ECU they would have A & B in one housing but separate connectors. I suspect this may be what's going on. I will see if I can find pin identification for the VECU connector.

  50. #50Lagwagon2023-03-13 22:28

    Theres 2x plugs on top the IECU, 1x below. There must be 60-70 wires running into it…mental. The vc60-ia15 is what I tested and found continuity but no voltage. so now I need to determine why, is it a bad bypass switch or VECU or IECU not behaving. or could it be a bad earth?

  51. #51Lagwagon2023-03-21 07:28

    Believe i have finally nailed the issue. The Fire Suppression system. As I mentioned above I ran through the troubleshooting procedure sfrs4 sent through and determined that the I-ecu & V-ecu had zero comms through specified voltage (~10-14v). I disconnected the Fire Suppression pressure switches and Immediately restored power between the ECU’s. Monitoring the voltage im getting an oscillating 6.5-18v. I’m not sure if this is normal, I havent seen it before but voltage slowly rises to 18v then back down to 6.5 and so on, it’ll do a cycle over about 30 seconds. Anyway I have issues with the fire system as all 3 gauges are showing different pressures and no indication lights on the control box are working even after a reset. it doesn’t matter if I bridge the wires to the pressure switch after disconnecting or just have them disconnected, it fixes the issue Which is odd because machine should not be able to start with the pressure switches disconnected. Anyway that will have to be a job for another day. Thanks everyone that gave advice and documentation to help troubleshoot. I sincerely appreciate it.

  52. #52Lagwagon2023-05-12 07:13

    Hate to revive this thread but problem still persists. just to recap and save re-reading the whole thread: Machine will lose power, like going into the limp/derate mode intermittently. I have now pulled the fire suppression and starter isolater switch wiring out of the system so can rule them out, have also tested the 2 x e-stops and wiring and they test fine. Have not touched the battery isolator but seemingly have 24v everywhere its supposed to be so at this stage ruling it out. I have run through the testing procedures supplied by sfrs4 for each code and determined that the yellow/red power wire between i-ecu & v-ecu is throwing up random voltages, where specified should be 10-14v I’m getting up to 20v then back down to 5v in an occilating fashion, the wire has correct resistance between plugs. here is a short video of the readings: Volvo power issue rumble.com I mentioned earlier in the thread that I suspected the bypass switch (sw9103) I’m suspicious because when you engage it the machine shuts down to the limp mode in the exact manner. FWF also mentioned that this switch can be dodgy. I did a little test while the machine did the voluntarily loss of throttle/derate symptom and hit the manual throttle switch and the machine shut off. Can this switch (sw2704) only work in manual mode? If so it could mean the bypass switch could be the problem. Is there any way to test the bypass switch? im waiting on the Volvo tech to come look but they are so snowed under with work they can’t give me a date and I need this machine running within a week. I had an auto electrician out to look at another vehicle and he was able to give me 5 minutes on the machine after I ran through the symptoms and what I had already tested. He said he had a similar issue with a b-model ec210 and he spliced in a new wire between the ecu’s and it fixed the issue. He also warned me of the Volvo tech in a negative way, not sure what to read of that. He seemed to imply he was no good. I’m not keen to cut this wire and run a new one because it seems I’m getting higher than the voltage I actually need at the i-ecu so how could this wire be broken? and I’m wondering how I’m getting up to 20v when it should be no more than 14. sorry to ask you guys again for more help but I’m really stuck now and can’t just sit by And wait for Volvo to come out.

  53. #53Lagwagon2023-05-29 06:14

    Might as well post a bit more info whilst I’m still waiting for Volvo, they say they’ll call me back, 2 weeks pass and nothing, I ring, they say they’ll ring me back by the end of the day, nothing…and another week passes. It’s infuriating. still have the same 3 codes. PPID 1144-09 PSID 216-09 PSID 216-12 today however whilst checking over wires again I flicked the override switch SW9103 off and on then had a new code. SW2701-12 ’RPM switch failure’ dont know how fiddling with that switch triggered the RPM switch to fail, seems odd. another thing I’ve noticed is that in service mode I have no voltage to V-ECU and in normal mode I have no voltage reading, under the ‘electrical system’ menu. Both come back when machine runs normally. also in ‘on/off output’ I can see the ‘V-ECU status‘ flickering on and off with no consistency. If you view the video you can see it switching, then hear me turning the override switch on and off. Can’t make much out of it. Volvo ec210 rumble.com I think it’s as FWF stated earlier, either power supply to VECU or throttle controller or could be the override switch. I’m at the point now of just ordering both as I can’t wait any longer. I did run a can-bus jumper wire from VECU to IECU with no change. so appears the lack of voltage im getting at IECU isn’t due to broken wire. I tested all pins on the 3x Plugs feeding VECU and had at least 4 registering 24v. What wires they were. I Dont know as there’s over 100.

  54. #54code_xi2023-05-31 02:23

    My EC210CL doing the same but no other similar issues.

  55. #55Lagwagon2023-06-01 21:04

    SFRS4 do you have any info on the following code- SW2701-12? I have seemingly solved the other can-bus issue by replacing the manual override switch, I’ve run the machine 3 times now and the codes have gone and idle rpm is back to normal however i have this new code and have no throttle control. before I go replacing the throttle controller I wanted to make sure it wasn’t a VECU comms issue. At the moment I’m getting no signal to the controller. cheers

  56. #56funwithfuel2023-06-01 21:41

    SW2701 is the throttle control. Refer to post 38 & 39

  57. #57LACHAU2023-06-02 01:27

    Please allow me to add some comments.

  58. #58LACHAU2023-06-02 01:30

    Due to forum rules, only 4 photos can be posted at a time.

  59. #59Lagwagon2023-06-02 01:40

    That’s what I was after, Thankyou very much Lachau

  60. #60Rdeguzman2024-10-05 05:20

    I have same error what should I do

  61. #61Rdeguzman2024-10-05 05:23

    How to fix this error

  62. #62Lagwagon2024-10-05 09:08

    Does the machine run? Does the throttle work? In my instance it was the V-ecu that was faulty initially but not throwing any codes. Once I messed with the manual override switch I started getting codes so I believe I damaged the switch due to man-handling. I then replaced the switch and codes disappeared. I then Replaced V-ECU and problem solved. Glad I didn’t order a new throttle controller.