I have a question. Has anyone ran a new cat 317? We got one at work back in November to replace our 316. It is setup identical to the old one. Small size boom, stick, thumb, and kept our 5' clean up bucket from the old on. But the machines are completely different. The electronic over hydraulic to a little to get used. But this machine feels like it has reduce power. It struggles to multi function and it will hardly track if you are operating anything else. Then to top it off it constantly wants to tip with the 5' bucket. Loading trucks is a challenge and was never a problem with the 316 and same bucket. I did notice the 317 only has 1 pump instead of 2. But I was wondering if anyone else has had this experience?
It’s a completely different hydraulic system on the 317 compared to the 316, it’s going to take getting used to. As for the bucket size the max size cat shows is a 48” on this machine. Could also be where your reduced power is coming from.
Welcome to the Forums Wdl! Glad to have you. Yeah the Next Gen Cat excavators are completely different that the previous model. Traded our 325FL last year for a NG 325. The hydraulics and controls are a bit different that takes a little to get used to. However the new 325 seems stronger than the 325FL.
What’s your guys opinion on the cat 317? I have a 145 Volvo and think a 317 would go well with it. Trying to find a machine that I can still tow with my 25ton trailer.
You can't go wrong with the Cat, when you pull on the site with the Cat, people are going to respect you. Plus,you can always sell a Cat.
Have no experience operating a 317 but I've owned a 315CL and 315DL which were both great machines. I am guessing the 317 took it's place? Hauled them regularly on our 25T+ trailer.
Cat makes a nice product. The electric over hydraulic system is not my cup of tea. You’ll also pay more for the cat. The support from cat is only as good as the local dealer. Just as it is with any brand. If I need a certain brand machine to be “respected” when I show up, that’s the wrong job for me. I’ve never gotten respect for the machine I was running, it was my work ethic, doing what I said I would, and attention to all the details that got me respect….
Not necessarily, depends on the region. Cat is very competitive in the Southeast. Couldn't agree more on the "respected" part.
I demoed a new CASE 170 E series in Oct. I ran a Link Belt 365 X4S in January on a demo job. Machines are much the same except engines are different. The hydraulic system is outstanding. You can completely program how fast you want arm, boom speeds, very fast hydraulics, and I mean fast. If this year goes well I will trade my Link Belt X4 on either the new Link Belt or CASE machine. I like my X4 a lot, but this new machine is next level.
morning. If u go under bucket setting in your cat and scroll around u can pick your speeds of functions. There all set at 5 if u put boom up at 9 then boom down should be 8 or 9. Have a broken ankle right now. Going to hop in hoe tomorrow give it ago. There is also an auto setting to tell pumps what to look for. Will reply more when in hoe as to find setting hope this helps for now
Thanks for the reply! And yes the 317 took the 316 place
Really appreciate the reply!
If u go into service 9992 go to attachments then controllable settings can change speeds of boom stick bucket etc. then if u go two down to attachment valve #1 if you run a tilt Bucket etc it maybe on Manuel change to auto forget the wording cat has in there. Hope this helps
I guess I forgot I posted about the 317 last year. 1000 hours later and it is still the most frustrating thing I have ever ran. The machine will not stay on its feet to save it's life. It still feels slow on cycle times especially loading trucks and bulking. Don't worry have mess with every setting in the machine. It will not multi function tracks and implement. I know they went to a single pump setup that is supposed to have to flow that is needed but there is no substitute for a multi pump setup. The seat is is not meant for anyone over 2' tall. There glass doesn't seal tight. The side panel on the fuel tank side is constantly rubbing the fuel tank when it swells because it is plastic. I could go on and on and on. A/c went out in. It was overfilled with oil from factory due to an error in SIS specing 6 gallon for compressor oil. They just aren't the same as the old cats. I get back in the 315f and it is smooth and fast. Maybe in another few thousand hours it might get better.
Is the cab different on a 317 than the other small and medium sized Cat excavators? All the Next Gen machines I've ran (320,325,330) the cabs are the most comfortable I've been in. Our 325 NG's cab is tight and very comfortable.
They are supposed to be the same cabs and seats as far as I know. I have just struggled to get the seat adjusted. I like to slide the bottom out to support my knees and this only goes about half the distance of the old one. I always like the way the old seat would tilt back as one piece. I don't it just different.