Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

caterpillar 320C LU

PNECAT ยท 2014-11-16 15:22

Hey guys. Need some insight on the 320C LU model. I like the fact that the machine has the shorter tail swing on this size of a machine with good HP138 and be able to get into tighter jobs. How is the serviceability on this machine compared to a 320CL base model. It seems with its LU undercarriage that it should be stable with its smaller tail swing and counterweight? How are these size machines HP and hydraulic systems strength in every day use compared to some other size machines in its class.

Replies16
  1. #1PNECAT2014-11-16 21:40

    The machine is a 2004 with 8'000 Hrs with 45% U/C. Anything that i should look for on the machine with this many hrs. 1 owner with a service report.

  2. #2PNECAT2014-11-18 21:52

    Alright I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on this machine and was hoping for some information on the 320C LU before I purchased it. The machine is located in Canada and will be shipped to my home in Michigan if I purchase the machine. The owner/dealer is going to talk care of all the shipping and customs crap that you have to go through at the border. Any information would be helpful. Thanks

  3. #3PNECAT2014-12-11 19:03

    So i bought the 320C LU today and know i just have to wait for the delivery. Im looking forward to get it home and see how the machine operates eith the smaller tail swing. I couldn't find much information on yhe 320C LU models when i wad reaching, im not sure if that's bad or good. One thing I do know is that its a Caterpillar and ive had good luck with Cat and i have a dealer 1hr away and service trucks always driving by in case of breakdowns.

  4. #4PNECAT2014-12-20 21:14

    So guys hear is my new machine. Overall I am very happy so far with the machine and the reduced tail swing is very nice. I have two full days running the machine taking trees down and pulling stumps in a small area and this size excavator with the reduced tail swing is just sweet! I'm glad I didn't go with a smaller size machine 315CL which I decided to go with the 320CLU because of its extra power and bucket size with its reduced tail swing made it an easy choice for me and have the semi and 50 ton lowboy to haul it. So I have a few little things I need to address which are new seals for the hydraulics and a new bottom roller windshield wiper motor and the bottom glass is plexiglass. The machine is very tight and pins are all good with decent U/C and a strong running engine. So the dealer I bought the machine claimed to do a full service and went over everything. Well I checked the computer and it's shows that the filters need to be changed and could use an oil change. What kind of service do you call that? I'm not happy about them just topping off the fluids and calling it a full service. I will be contacting them about it Monday.

  5. #5big ben2014-12-20 21:52

    Good choice and glad your happy so far. Before you get to upset it could just be that the mechanic forgot to reset the filter and fluid info in the computer after the service, as this is easy to do. But for sure double check with the dealer.

  6. #6John C.2014-12-20 22:06

    Most people around here just put the plexiglass in after the kick window gets broke. Most also don't fix that lower wiper so those two things are not unusual. Same thing goes with resetting the service intervals on the computer after it is done. Tight implement joints and decent undercarriage would indicate good care or repair before you purchased it. Those are the two biggest wear factors I look for in that hour range of used excavator.

  7. #7PNECAT2014-12-20 22:53

    big ben you have a point they may not have reset the computer for the new filters, what i noticed was the oil is pretty dark for a new oil change and the filters didn't look bad but didn't look just replaced also, I will look into it and seeing i didn't get a sheet showing what was serviced i am unsure what was actually done. Thanks

  8. #8PNECAT2014-12-20 23:02

    John c I guess i just keep the lower exiglass and install a guard access the lower section and call it good. Its The top wiper that isn't working. The machine was a one owner.

  9. #9CM19952014-12-21 09:19

    My first thought is they didn't update the computer. No dates on the filters?

  10. #10John C.2014-12-21 12:54

    Hour meter readings would have been the normal thing to put on filters. I've never changed oil based on a date. On the upper wiper, does the motor run and nothing move or is it all completely dead? Fuses would be the first place to start. Around here people generally put the window in the up position when operating the machine. They then complain the heater does not work well enough in the winter or the air conditioning is too small in the summer. The wiper generally just gets forgotten. On most of the machines where I've had to work on the wiper, they were computer controlled and very expensive to fix.

  11. #11PNECAT2014-12-21 14:38

    CM 1995 the filters do not have dates on them or hrs. They should have gave me a service sheet showing what was done and serviced

  12. #12PNECAT2014-12-21 14:50

    John c The wiper is not working at all, I will check the fuse box and go from there. Heat works great in the cab and doesn't take long to defrost the windows. I will find out if the a/c works this summer. All of the filters have nothing on them for hrs or dates. Im changing the oil for my own pice of mind as the oil is very black.

  13. #13CM19952014-12-21 18:03

    There should have been hours and dates on the filters, it's good maintenance practice. I don't change oil by date either.

  14. #14PNECAT2014-12-24 22:39

    So the dealer told me they checked all of the fluids/topped off and checked the filter and they said the used filters were in goid shape still. How do you check used filters and say they are in goid shape still without any dates and hrs on them? Sounds like B.S to me. The reason for the hours on the computer not being reset he said was he didn't have the tool to reset the filter hrs on the machine. Do you need a computer to reset the hrs or can you do that on the machine itself. I have come to the dedecision to change all of the filters and the engine oil and get the computer hrs reset like it should be in the first place on a full service.

  15. #15CM19952014-12-24 23:07

    I think they are trying to feed you a line of male bovine excrement. Whenever I buy a used truck or piece of iron I change the oil and filters, unless I know for certain it was done prior to taking delivery. Probably would be a good idea to take some oil and coolant samples and have the Cat lab test them, cheap insurance.

  16. #16PNECAT2014-12-25 22:15

    Im having my local cat service guy come out in a couple weeks to go everything. You are right on the point with changing oil snd filters with an unknown service. I will see what my cat guy says. Ill look into the samples tested also. Thanks