Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

New excavator prices

big sig · 2014-11-16 19:31

Looking to purchase either a new Volvo 220d or cat 320e. I'm pricing them with 42" buckets and hydraulic thumbs. Wanting to see what yall are seeing for new machine prices. I was priced 174,000 for the Volvo and 195,000 for the cat. Do those seem in line or too high? Also on a cat d5k xl they told me 125,000 and a d6k 164,000. Thanks

Replies69
  1. #1CM19952014-11-16 19:37

    That looks like a good price for the Cat. I priced a 320EL with two buckets and manual thumb over a year ago and it was $198K. My salesman told me a Cat hyd. thumb was $12K.

  2. #2Shimmy12014-11-16 19:43

    Ah, wish I lived where you live. Butler wanted 225 last fall for an E, no thumb. Paid $190,000 for my Case with hyd. coupler. 195 sounds like a hell of a deal. Almost might have bought a Cat for that. :jawdrop

  3. #3big sig2014-11-16 20:13

    Do yall think the cat is worth the extra 20? Also their interest rate is no 3% higher than volvo

  4. #4Shimmy12014-11-16 21:17

    Than a Volvo?? Every day of the week and twice on Sunday. :yup

  5. #5clintm2014-11-16 21:19

    would you consider case . I have had good luck with them. not had much luck with volvo excavators or support on them.

  6. #6Shimmy12014-11-16 21:31

    What Clintm said. I have a new 210C. Awesome machine. Fast, powerful, unbelievably cheap on fuel if you keep it in A mode. Hate the DPF but such is life. Did I mention 3 yr/3000 hr warranty including all fluids and filters?

  7. #7clintm2014-11-16 21:34

    We do have a new Case dealer that is pretty aggressive .

  8. #8big sig2014-11-16 22:06

    Id consider case. Is the case machine still the same as a link belt? And is case construction part of case Ag?

  9. #9Shimmy12014-11-16 22:09

    I believe so. I also believe they are a Sumitomo machine. Probably a question for Colorado Digger. He runs all Link Belt hoes. As to your other question, they are the same but different. For instance, CHN Ag fluids are Akcela, Case Construction fluids are Tutella.

  10. #10chrisbowles2014-11-16 23:06

    Just got quote on cat 316 for 168k and komatsu 170 for 165k

  11. #11Dickjr.2014-11-16 23:19

    I had a Case CX250 rented , it keep going into what seemed limp mode. You could shut it down and restart it and it was great. The slew brake seemed weak , but that's a lot of iron to stop. It had Sumitomo written all over it. I liked it fine. My preference in rentals would be Komatsu in the excavator line even over Cat. If I were able to purchase a new machine like this I would look at a Case as well. Case , Komatsu , Cat and Deere. I have ran a Deere 160 and a 230 , they worked well. Personally I would have a hard time paying 20k more for a less than 200k machine because its a Cat. Tough decision , I wish you well.

  12. #12Dickjr.2014-11-16 23:23

    Big Sig , the dozer prices look cheap compared to even used prices , are they cab machines ? 125 for a 5KXL seems somewhat reasonable.

  13. #13big sig2014-11-16 23:25

    I was quoted 175 for a 316e with hydraulic thumb. Not sure how much Carolina cat will work with me. This is our first piece of construction equipment other than a couple skid steers and 304.5. I like the salesman at Volvo better but cat has a dealer 10 min away and Volvo is 45-60 min away. We're just using it for cleaning up farms, digging some ponds, setting culverts, and maybe doing a little grading work. I just want something I'm not always working on and that'll last me, and be easy for different operators to get on and not get lost in the electronics.

  14. #14big sig2014-11-16 23:27

    Dickjr those are cab dozers. I demoed a 160 Volvo last year and liked it but I don't want to buy it just because the price and then regret it.

  15. #15Dickjr.2014-11-16 23:33

    A fellow contractor bought a Volvo 240 with hammer about 8 years ago , it failed miserably , they sent out a new machine. It failed as well. He traded it for a 324D Cat , they still have it , its done a lot of hammer work. Still pretty solid with 3500 hrs on it. I'm a bird of a different color when it comes to shopping and spending money, I worry the hell out of them.

  16. #16jprefect2014-11-17 08:41

    we just demoed a Cat 336 vs Volvo. Nobody in the company was in pressed with the Volvo. It seemed to use a lot of fuel, week and very tipsy compared to the Cat. we ended up purchasing the Cat.

  17. #17DIRTHAWK2014-11-17 11:01

    Picking an excavator could depend on the kind of work you do.. Cat and Deere for production. Case/Link-Belt for smoothness and fuel economy. We recently switched from deere to link belt.. Saved $35,000 and fuel consumption is lower.. If you're mainly doing work by the hour than Link-Belt is a no brainer.

  18. #18CM19952014-11-17 13:39

    I didn't get a formal quote on a 316E but my salesman said $165K +/-.

  19. #19clintm2014-11-17 20:52

    case and link belt are the exact machines now except for the color. the engines used to be different but now they are the same. I bought a new CX350C in april got about 500 HRS on now no issues as of today it's about the 7th or 8th sumitomo machine I have owned

  20. #20Shimmy12014-11-17 21:01

    Hey Dirthawk, I'm wondering about your comment about Cat/Deere for production. Are you talking about bigger machines? I have a new 210C Case and this hoe is as fast as any 200 machine I've ever ran. As far as fuel economy, I can't even believe it myself. If you can keep it in A mode, I've gone 40 hours on a tank of fuel. That's 2.5 gph. Another thing, and I'm sure all the new ones are similar, is how everyone comments about how quiet it is. I've always been a Cummins guy, but this little Isuzu is pretty amazing. -9°F (-23°C) the other morning, heater came on for about 3 sec, turned key, lit up like it was 30°.

  21. #21lumberjack2014-11-17 21:58

    2.5gph is some major light duty cycle/work.

  22. #22Shimmy12014-11-17 22:08

    That's running a 7' ditch bucket throwing the spoil out 180° from the ditch. Sitting on a 3:1 slope on a ditch that's about 6' deep. Going from max reach loading the bucket to max reach dumping the spoil.

  23. #23Shimmy12014-11-17 22:11

    I not trying to be a smart ass, but anyone that wants fuel economy I'm pretty sure Case/Link Belt is top of the class and by a looonnnng way too.

  24. #24Welder Dave2014-11-18 01:14

    Isuzu has always been a well liked, long life and fuel efficient engine in Hitachi hoes. Curious why know one mentioned Hitachi or aren't they available because of a deal with JD? I heard the JD engines are mounted higher so the pumps have to work a little harder and the JD engines use more fuel than their Hitachi counterparts? I don't know about the new machines but a few years ago an operator told me that Link Belt and Case were basically the same Sumitomo design(different engines) but Link Belt used bigger pins. Isn't Cat also based on a Sumitomo design?

  25. #25TrentNz2014-11-18 02:54

    You cant beat a hitachi for precision, smoothness, production, reliability. They're just the complete package. Would love the new zx135usr

  26. #26DIRTHAWK2014-11-18 07:10

    I too have also ran the 200 series deere, and the biggest thing I noticed was the speed of the machine. Deeres hydraulics just seem to be a lot better. When loading trucks it just seemed like I could get a load out faster.. Link-Belt is a pretty amazing beast though. We went up to the 250 and the fuel economy is still there.. Very reliable machines.

  27. #27Shimmy12014-11-18 07:15

    He was on the right track. Back in the 90's they had different size pins, but Case had the bigger ones. For instance, a Case 9030 had 80 mm pins and the L/B 2800 had 65 mm pins. As far as I know, that nonsense ended when they went to the standardized model numbers (160, 210, etc).

  28. #28Shimmy12014-11-18 07:27

    Were you running the same control pattern? I know it sounds silly, but in this day and age, a lot of operators can switch back and forth. The guys that prefer Deere, are they running backhoe controls? Only reason I'm asking is I run backhoe (Deere) and have run ISO (Cat). I never felt I could be as smooth, precise, or fast with the stick and bucket in different hands. For what it's worth I've been running hoe for 25 yrs.

  29. #29DIRTHAWK2014-11-18 07:37

    Yep same controls at all times. Don't get me wrong Shimmy, I really like our Link-Belt. Just think the hydraulics are a little slower. The swing and boom mainly. I just feel a day of hogging out a large cut, the production edge would go to deere. That being said, that deere would be pretty thirsty in about 8hrs!

  30. #30Shimmy12014-11-18 07:49

    Just thinking about this, I'm wondering we're not hyjacking this thread. Maybe CM could let us know later on.

  31. #31CM19952014-11-18 08:20

    LOL, I have been know to hijack a few threads myself.. It's big sig's thread, it's his call.

  32. #32big sig2014-11-18 08:52

    Yall are fine hijacking it. It's letting me learn quite a bit about everyone's opinions.

  33. #33big sig2014-11-19 20:05

    Well I ended up buying the 320E and d5k. They came down some and helped out on interest to get it closer to the volvo. I hope to get them next week

  34. #34TrentNz2014-11-20 00:01

    Awsome man throw up come pics

  35. #35pafarmer2014-11-23 08:53

    That's a real decent price on the CAT and a little high on the Volvo....from what my area is bringing..

  36. #36big sig2014-11-23 13:38

    Have any of y'all used any mowers to go on excavators? I would like something that I could mow banks, ditches, trim field edges, pond banks, etc. I don't care for a mulcher head basically like a bush hog on the end of the stick. If so what are some good brands?

  37. #37Dickjr.2014-11-23 16:57

    I've never used one , but while moving the dozer the other day the state had a 324E with a rotary cutter running up the side of a two lane state road. Cutting and clearing nearly 20' of anything from 4" diameter down. Road really opened up and looked much better. An independent contractor owned the machine , the state highway department was tending traffic. Looks like a good way to make money in the off season of construction. The only thing to stop this work would be snowy slick roads. It did have the swivel head on it. Forgot to mention it had regular 3 bars grousers.

  38. #38Landclearer2014-11-23 17:18

    A guy around here runs Denis Cimaf heads on a couple 320 Cats. Only thing you need is 2 pump flow and I think a case drain.

  39. #39lake side bob2014-12-23 18:57

    A D5K for $125,000 A D6K for $164,000 A 320E w/thumb for $195,000 or $225,000 W/ no thumb Don't you guys think those prices are amazing. A D5 & 320 for 1/3 million dollars. Some contractors must be able to get big bucks for the equipment in their bids. Or is all the other equipment in the fleet is working to make the equipment bank payments. Or by the way who would have though a tracked skid steer would be priced at $100,000?

  40. #40Nige2014-12-23 19:49

    All that pales into insignificance when you start buying big trucks by the dozen at $3 million a pop........

  41. #41chrisbowles2014-12-23 19:59

    I just purchased today a komatsu 170 (use to be a 160) for 180k. That inludes a hydraulic soblely thumb for 13k, a 5 year 4k hr bumber to bumper everything warranty and 3 year komatsu care ( all fluids and filters and them coming to me to do the service work). Fianced it for 48 months for 0 apr.With 42" bucket. Since I will have all the plumbing in place I priced a fecon mulching head. They quoted me 39k. Sounded a little high to me.

  42. #42chrisbowles2014-12-23 20:04

    How exactly does that comment contribute anything to the topic? How many dozen 3 million dollar truck deals have you closed lately?

  43. #431026phr2014-12-23 20:14

    Getting quotes on JD 135G with hydraulic thumb, dig bucket, finish bucket, mechanical coupler in $185,000 to $195,000 region. Does that sound reasonable or is it high? Any informed opinions welcome.

  44. #44clintm2014-12-23 20:27

    you had better look to see who your calling out. If you notice that why Nige always posts part #'s for any cat equipment they give him the password with those dozen trucks.

  45. #45clintm2014-12-23 20:30

    Nige do you get the 2nd dozen for half price like the donut store or just a bakers dozen

  46. #46CM19952014-12-23 20:46

    The only way a small operator, like me, can make it in this business is having some paid for machines working along side machines with a payment. Theory being is the paid for machines make up the difference in the machine with a note. Good business decisions follow that the paid for machines will make a profit during their useful life in order to renew your fleet with newer equipment that has a note. The balance between work, A/R and making equipment notes is both science and art. Being a small excavation contractor is tough, ya' gotta be crazy to be in this business but crazy makes life interesting.

  47. #47clintm2014-12-23 21:15

    some of the old timers my speak up but what i've always heard and tried to operate by is if you don't have at least half your fleet paid for you going broke fast. it seems like every time I have gotten every thing paid for something's wore out and have to replace it and start the crazy all over again. Like I always say we are to dumb to do any thing else.

  48. #48Shimmy12014-12-23 21:28

    That is a pretty bold statement coming from a guy with 24 posts. I'm thinking that everyone will let this one slide, but be careful who you make smartass comments to. Nige probably has more years holding down a comfy chair than you are old.

  49. #49CM19952014-12-23 21:51

    I prefer a more generous 75-25% spread of paid for to machines with notes. Those old timers know how to make money,

  50. #50Ozz2014-12-23 23:04

    I lease all my big equipment for roughly nine months of the year and then shut down in the winter. It doesn't make sense to have $3,000,000 in equipment sitting idle and making payments when I legitimately can't work. I think leasing is the way to go. I tend to work hardcore in a seasonal rotation, where I work Spring, Summer and until roads freeze and become dangerous in the winter.

  51. #51CM19952014-12-24 10:31

    I hear ya. Leasing can be a nice tool to fill a need for iron and makes sense in your situation.. Luckily we don't have icy winters, just wet, so we slog through it. Everyone wants to start their projects at the end or the first of the year. Back when the weather was nice and dry a few months ago, projects were on hold. Now the rainy season sets in and I have a fast food and an auto parts site going at the same time.

  52. #52Landclearer2014-12-24 11:06

    Same here, no ice but plenty of wet. For some reason nobody will start a wet site during the dry weather, they have to wait until you have 3 inches of rain then want to start the next day.

  53. #53alaskaforby42014-12-24 12:57

    You used to be able to just add 3 zeros to the end of the machine prefix and come pretty close to the price, now its like add 3 zeros + $30,000 extra This is why Cat is more expensive.....(that was sarcasm) JD 160 = $160,000 Cat 315= $315,000

  54. #54lake side bob2014-12-24 13:08

    alaskaforby4 are you sure of that price for a CAT 315 - $315,000.00??? or did your fingers hit the wrong keys on the keypad?

  55. #55alaskaforby42014-12-24 13:26
  56. #56Shimmy12014-12-24 14:00

    I suppose you get the $30,000 premium up north, but my 210 last winter was pretty reasonable, $190,000 with coupler.

  57. #571026phr2014-12-24 15:10

    Not sure where you can get a JD 160 in the Northeast for $160k. Also # on Cat 315 looks high..... Have been pricing Cat 312/314 and JD 135. Cat 312 in $160,000 range. Cat 314 in $170,000 to $180,000 range. JD 135s in $180,000-$190,000 range. Have not seen any new JD 160s in $160,000 range.

  58. #58alaskaforby42014-12-24 15:27

    I have officially lost faith in humanity......... ointhead

  59. #591026phr2014-12-24 15:32

    Your loss of faith is well justified.... I suppose that I should have read the entire post.... This reading thing is new to me... back to first grade phonics.... But, my reading skills aside... still trying to get some calibration on pricing if any one has any....

  60. #60Dickjr.2014-12-24 16:02

    I'm not far from Crestwood , we work pretty much year round , but the type work we do may be different from what you do. Last year was an exception for icy roads , for the most part our winter are fairly mild. It was pushing 60* earlier on but it is getting colder. I know the state won't let road crews work in freezing or rainy weather. Currently have 1 lake to work on and 2 ponds , they can be built , the finish grade may need touching up in the spring.

  61. #61JGibson2014-12-24 16:49

    I like the G series Deeres, nice well built machines. Not a huge fan of the small E series Cats, the 336 is a very nice hoe though... Who would be your deere dealer?

  62. #621026phr2014-12-24 16:59

    Have received quotes from a few different dealers. Have not decided for sure yet on brand or dealer. Have flexibility in where we buy and take delivery.

  63. #63chrisbowles2014-12-24 17:09

    Cat quoted me a 316 for 180k. Equipped same as komatsu that I posted above but at 2.8 apr. That's alot in 4 years. I think you can get a basic machine and warranty in the high 160s

  64. #64Ozz2014-12-24 23:45

    I spend the warm months up north in PA/NY in the Marcellus Shale fields building access roads, short pipeline sections and other general site prep. When I have to fight ice and feet of snows up those crappy, steep, switchback roads up the side of a mountain in the Alleghenies or the leases run out I pack up the Blue Goose and head south to milder winters and mostly part-time brush cutting/utility work. I was legitimately frozen out last winter with the polar vortex. I will never make the mistake again.

  65. #65JGibson2014-12-25 12:37

    Makes sense. Deeres last a while. Schmidt and Nortrax are both excellent dealerships

  66. #66Shimmy12014-12-26 23:48

    That sounds ridiculously high. I paid $190,000 for my 210C with hydraulic coupler. A thumb and ditch bucket should add about $20,000, maybe on a smaller machine like that. I would think that setup should be NO MORE THAN $160,000

  67. #67Nige2015-01-05 15:15

    The last truck order was 17 units @ $2.75m each. I think the plan is for 10 more next year. I'm sure we'll also be replacing some tractors before the end of this year as well. Last ones we bought were about 1.5m. We just bought a brand-new 349D that came in right on $500k.

  68. #68Dickjr.2015-01-05 15:59

    Your set up is a lot different than mine as well as a lot others. If I recall your in some type of mining. You guys run probably 24/7 and have the need to purchase large amounts of large equipment. If I get 800 to 1000 hrs a year on my dozer I'm actually doing pretty good where as you guys will get that amount of hours in 4 months maybe less. I believe some earlier posters thought you were bragging maybe. Your industry while it has some similarities to mine , it warrants the ability to afford such machinery. Personally I'm impressed with what goes on in the mines. To me coordination would be the toughest part. I'd like to see pics of the on going things there.

  69. #69lake side bob2015-02-19 12:29

    No read alaskaforby4 post. He said add 3 zeros after the CAT machine model number so the 315 was/became a 315,000 machine it was a joke. It would be the same as a 312 at $312,000 or a 319 at $319,000.