Im going to look at an old (mid to late 80s) 490 deere excavator. Curious if anyone has an opinion on these machine? This would be our first jd machine. Is this a Hitachi uh06 with a different engine? Feel better about it if I knew it was a Hitachi.. Any one know if the earlier machines had a pattern valve? Also any alternate sources for a starter, I believe these machines have a 3.9L jd engine. Worth bringing back from the dead? Has had the starter and some hydraulic lines stolen from it. Apparently ran when parked. Thanks for any advice! Chris
I owned a '91 D Model and ran it as a primary machine for 5 seasons. It was a good old machine, it really depends what you are going to use it for. Its quite a bit slower then a newer machine obviously, but still has lots of power. They do have a weak point in the boom where the two main cylinders attach, look for cracks. And yes it is basically a Hitachi with a JD engine. If you do decide to go for it I can send you the repair manual. Good luck!
Thanks Alaska, ill keep you updated. If i end up with the machine the manual would be a great help!
Alaskafor4 would you mind sharing the manual for the jd490 .my email is [email protected] .thank ed
sure, also have a JD 450, 455, 550, 555 & 650 G model dozer/crawler manual if anyone needs it. I am looking for a JD 120/160c Excavator manual
If you are talking about the old straight 490 I don't think you will find a pattern valve as it was not a pilot controlled machine. Had one of these machines for years and it was pretty trouble free. It was a Hitachi with a deere engine. As I recall the only real problem with them was the JD engine, which was not really up to the task and had a habit of losing head gaskets.
alaskaforby4 The dozer manuals would also be very helpfull. I have the 120/160 operation ,part and sevice. Also many other manual I can share. What is you email address?
Yes I did put a head gasket in mine at around 7000 hrs, also had to replace the pump Thanks, sent you everything I have
Yep straight 490. went out to see the machine. I thought it was pilots.. seen the sticks by the seat and assummed. Definitely push/ pull valves in there. Machine was too far gone and i passed. Guy said it ran great but the starter had been stolen. Got there and the lids were off both the fuel and hydro tanks.
alaskaforby4 sending you the 120/160 manauls over.