Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Caterpillar 430D Backhoe AC questions.

tompands · 2023-09-07 17:00

I just bought this Cat 430D. It's had a repaint and redecal done to it. It's only got 3000 hrs on it and it's a pretty tight machine. The AC wasn't working when I got it and neither was the emergency brake. Everything else is good. I found the AC problem...The condenser was rotted and leaking on the bottom corner. Bought a new condenser and installed it. I'd like to change the accumulator and orifice tube but cant find them. I called 3 local CAT dealers and they just said "LOOK UNDERNEATH". Anyone know where They would be? And I need to know the correct amount of freon for this hoe. I've heard everything from 2lbs to 3 1/2lbs. A big difference. The emergency brake caliper is shot from riding with it on. It wont even hold the pads , it's so worn out. Ordered a new caliper. Any help would be appreciated. Caterpillar says the 430D is not as popular as other models. But it does what I need it to do. It only weighs 16000 VS the Cat I ran at the county was 22000. They look alike to me and mine has a cab, so i don't understand the weight difference.

Replies2
  1. #1ahart2023-09-07 17:20

    Here’s what I can offer, service info is quite vague on component location for the AC system so a parts diagram is what we’ve got to work with. As for capacity, I found 3.0lb in 2 different locations. The drier and accumulator are in the “GG” “KK” location.

  2. #2tompands2023-09-11 12:49

    I found the drier, it's way up under the rear floor, looks like hell to change it.