Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D8H manual (46A10725-46A28136) for later model tractors?

Olly ยท 2019-08-25 23:57

Hi Guys, I've just purchased a D8H (46A31286) and am looking for a manual. I have noticed that the majority of manuals end with serial number 46A28136. The tractor I've purchased is a tad younger. I note that manuals for series 46A10725-46A28136 can be had for a 'sensible price ($120 NZ). Manuals for 46A28136 and up, however, seem to be around $440 NZ (incl postage).. Seems a bit over the top. Not to mention that some of the new manuals only appear to cover the engine OR chassis ($270 NZ..). Will the earlier 46A28136 service manual likely cover 98% of what the average Joe needs, or is the price difference warranted? I can see myself separating the tractor and doing a tiny bit of work, but I highly doubt I'll have the short block on a table. Cheers!

Replies6
  1. #1Olly2019-08-26 00:13

    Might only be a year in it.. Could the updated manual mark the change from the 235 to 270Hp? From an earlier post on this forum S/N 26977 - 29646 was around 1972, while 29647 - 32427 was 1973 ish

  2. #2Nige2019-08-26 04:11

    What manual are you looking for.? Operation & Maintenance, Parts, or a Service Manual..?

  3. #3Olly2019-08-26 05:15

    Hi Nige, I'm after 1) the Service Manual, and 2) the Operations & Maintenance Manual. I see there's a 630 pg service manual on amazon. It's volume 1 of 2? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TLY2NNI/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=AQG5JM9LHB9LX&psc=1

  4. #4Nige2019-08-26 09:26

    I think you would have to contact the seller regarding the "Vol 1 of 2" part. Maybe the illustration is the original Cat manual and it's now been combined into 1 by the seller. 630 pages sounds like a lot for one "old-style" manual. Try here. These are genuine Cat manuals - https://www.servicemanualpro.com/?page=Products&searchbox=46A31286 Service Manual and O&M Manual both avaiable on CD.

  5. #5Old Magnet2019-08-26 12:28

    I'd think you could get by just fine with the earlier Service Manual so long as you had the matching s/n Parts Book to check for variations of the later models.

  6. #6Olly2019-08-26 19:43

    Thank you both!! Done If anyone is looking for the same, please feel free to PM me.