Hi everybody. I just purchased my first pedal steer 977h and the seller said that left track clutch needs to be replaced. So my question is that how do i know for sure that the problem is the clutch ? I did a small test drive and the machine turns left just fine, but the right pedal has absolute zero response ! is it the clutch or brake that needs to be fixed or can it be just adjustment issue? (have no idea how to adjust clutch or brake on pedal steer machine)
Is it worth taking a look at the linkage to see if something is not right, or maybe even not lubricated correctly..? Attached is the Parts Manual, unfortunately there is no Test & Adjust in the online information. Maybe one of the other members can assist with a procedure.
Ok thanks for the info. I am newbie with these track loaders, but i am gonna take a closer look on the linkage on the weekend.
It seems as though the attachment did not upload correctly. Also it would help if you have the machine Serial Number.
Hi ! Serial Number shows one of those pictures i posted above. Looks like its 53A8014 .
Sorry, never looked at the photos. You are correct - 53A8014, or in the latest terminology 53A08014. So the Parts Manual I posted above (for machines with Serial Numbers 53A04797-08886) is the correct one for your machine. Going back to your OP. I would say that the left side is probably OK. If you find a good area of ground that allows you to drive in a straight line for at least 100m, try pressing the each pedal gently - half of its total stroke approximately. That should start to slip the steering clutch on that side of the machine, so whichever pedal you press the tractor should steer in a gentle curve towards that side. The 2nd half of the pedal travel applies the brake for that side. So if you press each pedal all the way down it should first disconnect the steering clutch then apply the brake and lock the track up solid.
Ok i did some more test driving on the weekend and it seems that it disconnect the streering clutch, but doesn't apply the brake. So i think it must be the brake issue.
i agree. It would appear that you are looking at a brake issue on the RH side if that track does not stop when you press the pedal right down. The next step is to remove the operator seat and floor plate and get into the Hell Hole below the floor and inspect the linkage on that side to see if anything is obviously loose, mal-adjusted, bent, broken, disconnected, etc. Use the linkage from the "good" side of the machine as a guide.
Or you could just adjust the brakes. Bob
I agree 100% Bob, but seeing as the OP has just bought this machine with no previous knowledge (and was misinformed by the seller regarding what was the root cause of the steering problem) I was thinking it might be a good idea to check the condition & operation of the clutch/brake linkage first and making sure it was OK before getting into adjusting the brakes. Am I correct in assuming that the H model does not have a brake booster on it like K models onwards..? There isn't too much information on this particular model.
Get yourself a service manual and a parts book. To adjust brakes drop panel on back below fuel tank and remove domed cover on right side of case ,3- 9/16 bolts. Brake adjuster is 9/16 ,tighten then back off 9 clicks or 1&1/2 turns if you can't hear clicks. You may have to adjust steering booster also. Check oil in steering booster, big plug in middle takes a 1 1/8 bolt double nutted , oil level checked at petcock below fill plug. Good luck Bob
I will dig out my manual as soon as my son goes to bed and send you the relevant pages. If I don't get to it tonight I will try to do it tomorrow for you. Mine was doing something similar, it would not turn right unless you stopped the machine, then the brake would hold. Since I was busy and the machine was on a job I had a guy come out and adjust it, took him 15 or 20 minutes and she steers beautifully in both directions now. Unfortunately I didn't see hiw he did it or I could just tell you but I will look it up in the manual for you as soon as I can.
Here you go. Not sure why it posted the second one first but this is the adjustment procedure for the brakes. Sorry about the curved pages... If you need the steering clutch adjustment pages let me know and I'll put them up for you. Hope this helps!
Thanks spitzair !