Seems that some measure of sanity emerged. Thanks to those speaking in support of this project. To those who spilt their bile, I've put most of you on Ignore, so do not expect a response from me. I am not interested in your "wisdom". And you don't question my economics. I will worry about that. As someone said, it is my money -- my MBA is Political Econ, and you'd best not presume I'm stupid. For the record, I now have almost all the parts, and all-in I've got $33k at risk here. Do you know how much a 2016 299D2 XHP is worth, especially restored to like new? Well do you? Why did I, an enterprise infosec sr technical manager decide to do this? Was it because I went crazy? Because I love grease and oil? (Hint: I drive a Tesla) Was it so I could dig in the garden? Or impress the chick next door? Or because I thought it would be cool? Hell yes it will be cool, but the base reason I am going to all this trouble, expense, and work out in the heat is I am developing two tracts of land for 5 houses each. I need to grade the land, build foundations and roads, and countless other things with this machine. And while I wait for my development permits, I am doing this in preparation. Some of you have guessed everything wrong. But then, at 64 I've learned that there is an unlimited supply of the 'Proudly Uneducated'. On top of the equity in the machine I'll have when done, I will save thousands on rental costs. So to the Peanut Gallery, do not underestimate me (or anyone else except yourself) again, or else embarrass yourself. And I will merrily slap you. To the Mod, please don't lecture me. Sounds like you think I've never been banned before, or like it matters. I knew exactly what I was doing when I took down the pricks. On the cribbing, some underestimate the value of a large foot, provided by the double laminate 2x6x8. it works by contact area, and partly because of the great weight. I'm a pretty good engineer. let me worry about it. As to my style of writing ("In its native environment"), I am not a conservative. I'm a EuroSocialist, a progressive, and a free thinker. (Notice I'm in Seattle) If you don't like that, then don't read this unless you like to betray your own values. I have looked for used parts, and as I've said before, almost all construction equipment (at least in junkyards and being parted out) has the same damage . To spell it out, the parts I need are damaged wherever I've looked. Rest assured, I've bought every possible used part I can from junkyards across the nation. I am by nature, rigorous. I've bought from Cat only as a last resort. I'm not going to alot of trouble on detail, but here are a few pics: Wet sandblasted, washed, and coarse-steel-wooled: A big worry was the engine. The engine is fine, as is the nylon pump coupler. Wet sandblasted, washed, coarse-steel-wooled, and Ospho'ed: Epoxy primed: I've now done the blacks with PPG Omni, and am prepping for the yellows. It was quite a chore to get the color accurate Cat #2. PS - Honest questions and suggestions welcomed.
"all-in I've got $33k at risk here" - that is a chunk of change considering you could have gotten a 953 for 15k.... the technical answer is it is only worth what someone will pay your for it... or in my case i don't sell anything and must get my money out of it hopefully before i destroy it - " developing two tracts of land for 5 houses each. I need to grade the land, build foundations and roads, and countless other things with this machine." - You have a lot of faith for rubber tracks. "As to my style of writing" it is interesting but kind of hard to follow without re-reading it ... You might be better off posting on the right sub forum-- HeavyEquipmentForums Your 299 is better suited there. Either way good luck it sounds like you like work.. I will follow along.. The more i look at your photo i wonder where is the rest of the machine and i wonder if you will loose some of it as the grass grows
No lecturing, now, or in the previous thread. When I post excerpts from the Forum Rules, it's for the edification of all, not just the offending party. People have a right to know the basis upon which their posting behavior is being judged. The rest was my heartfelt opinion about the genesis of the posts that seemed to so offend you. And I was sincere in my expression of sadness that your experience here wasn't what you had been hoping for. About the rules, here's a refresher: Personal attacks of any kind on other members will not be tolerated. While disagreements in opinions and procedures may arise, they must be handled in a mature manner. I did mention the specific words which I consider to unquestionably be out of bounds: "Anyone else notice that these three pricks still managed to find fault,..." And you just did it again. No. No slapping. See above. Hadn't given it a thought, but you're right, it doesn't matter. In this case though, take a week off to ponder the sort of posting behavior that the rule demands. If you're still interested in sharing the details of your project then, by all means, feel free to do so.
WTAF? Didn’t even bring up the political rules but you sure could have...... I’d hate to think of the good people run off by that sort of thing....we’ve seen it before. Sheesh
If Quantum wants to show his progress perhaps he should do just that and we can follow along. Show his progress and give a short explanation of what he's done without adding any other comments not related to his project. He may or may not have a good machine when he's done. Only time and a few hundred hours on his completed project will determine that. Will it be worth what he's put into it??? Maybe, maybe not. As was pointed out it's only worth what someone would pay for it. I think some posters were just expressing their concerns based on many years of experience with burnt and badly damaged equipment. I think the comments were more to try and keep Quantum from spending a lot of money on a gamble. I think to expect a machine that was involved in a fire bad enough for the insurance company to right it off to have the same value as a machine that wasn't in a fire is wishful thinking no matter if it looks brand new or not. It was still involved in a serious fire and not disclosing this info to a potential buyer down the road may be considered fraudulent. Sold as is doesn't include the seller holding back pertinent information. No different than a right off vehicle. It would be interesting to see the outcome of this project and let the machine speak for itself. I think it would have a little (or a lot) more tact than it's owner.
It is well known that we love a long, expensive project. It is also known that a tremendous lot of knowledge resides here. We will watch to see how this project goes. Regards, Clark
Since I've been used as a character reference, as it were, I'd like to clarify my position. This looks like a fantastic project, and I'm very interested in its progress. Ambitious for sure, but it could send up being an excellent machine for a modest capital outlay. The numbers certainly stack up when you don't need to account for labour hours, like someone who's time is charged for by the hour. However. This is one of the few forums I have found where the threads don't usually end in petty bickering. There are some very knowledgeable people in here who willingly and freely share the wealth of their years of experience for the benefit of many others, some of whom barely deserve it, IMHO. I don't care if someone is the greatest engineer, surgeon, or pilot in the world, there is always knowledge to be gained in other fields. Stephen Hawking may have been the smartest man of our time, but he probably wouldn't have a clue where to start with siteworks on a new development, or how to walk a crane up onto cribbing to get level on a steep site. So I propose that (for all of us) when somebody has concerns about aspects of your work, instead of looking at it as a criticism of your intelligence, consider it as a helpful suggestion that may at least save you some time or a few dollars, or ultimately keep you from catastrophe. Smartest man in the world or not, most of the time experience will beat intelligence.
Well said Kiwi! You may note I’m from the northwest, too. I find many people in this region close-minded to divergent opinions. I appreciate the open exchange of knowledge and opinions on HEF. Darryl
I see very similar models go for $30,000-$40,000. What's special about the XHP?
I’ve thought more about the OP’s comments on our input. Nothing offered was meant to be personal. You can have all the education and experience in the world but if it’s not equipment related you’re going to be ignorant to a lot of the quirky nuances of equipment. Add to that the volume of work anticipated for that size machine, in another entirely different field of expertise, and you have a steep learning curve on two fronts. I’m not exactly sure how his education and political views are relevant to this situation. Don’t mean a thing to me. It doesn’t take a particular viewpoint or level of education to make an *** of youself. I can do it just fine not sharing a thing in common with him! I have a hunch that continuing with a chip on his shoulder won’t yield the help he needs or create many friendships on here. Then again maybe that’s not what he’s after at all. But hey, what do we know about any of it? Right guys?
I've seen many of these types on several forums. I guess being "proudly uneducated" I don't know what the OP is really wanting. Apparently it's a big huge attaboy hug? I've rebuilt a Cat skidsteer, a Hyundai 740 loader, and a Cat ASV from fires for a stubborn customer... in the end none of it penciled out to me. But Hey... I made my bucks.
Noting wrong with that ! I also love catching up with some old buddy's every year swapping story's at the Strassenfest . After all the BS & joking we chow down on German fries , Bratwurst and allot of beer . Pretty good time https://jasperstrassenfest.org/ Good luck on the track loader project .
I think the OP may have shot himself in the foot in a big way. If he's got all this attitude before he's fully into his project, where is he going to go for advice when he runs into a problem(s)… and he will run into problems. I think there's more knowledge on this forum than you'd ever find in a dealership and the people with the knowledge are generally more than willing to share it. The OP may offended the people who could help him the most.
I thought " Euro Socialist " was some kind of Beer club where the fellers all gathered round & tried different brands of barley soda from the Old Country . I need to get out more often .
It's comparable to a Bobcat t-870 except it has twice the hydraulic flow. Perhaps needed for some sort of attachment ? Mulcher ? Does seem to be around $80,000 on the used market. I think it a special market for it vs a T-870. But only if one has the need for the flow. https://www.cat.com/en_US/products/...ml?productId=1000002411&modelId=38835&rgids=1
Wow! 107hp on that machine. My 175C is 140hp rated..... mebey time to look at a mini... Ospho... haven't heard about that in a coons age! Great stuff tho.
I thought Tesla was an 80s rock band.
Haha yes he (Tesla) was also an icredibly intelligent man who gave Edison fits! He’s the reason we use AC in our houses etc vs DC which Edison was pushing. Which I’m sure most of us know.... History lesson courtesy of me
Early in life I was a HVAC tech. Some of the first experimental AC units were filled with propane. It is an excellent refrigerant other than the fact that when compressed it tends to explode a little. I've been on this forum for years , to say the least its one of if not the best I have found. Anyway I think Tesla the scientist was the first version of a stoner. Eat , drink try anything or do anything to see what happens. When he lived the others carried on with his data and got the recognition.
He did a lot of things and never got any credit. Or very little. IIRC JP Morgan bankrolled a lot of his experiments and projects.
I have a book about him here somewhere read a while back. His business/marketing sense and interpersonal relationship skills were not that great. Edison was of course an excellent businessman. Any business enterprise needs to make money first in order to be there to do whatever it does for the customer. If the business does not make money then nobody gets anything and that is why some of his ideas fell by the wayside.