Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Caterpillar D4D 78A steering problem

Hollyrock ยท 2025-12-10 15:57

Hi So i have this dozer, D4D 78A, standard and am have a steering issue. When you first start to operate the machine the steering works okay. After a short while the machine stops turning, you pull the clutch lever back and apply the break for all your leg will do and it barely wants to turn and keeps driving forward. In the cold weather the machine turns better. The machine sat in the woods for 10 years and had not been used, it has 5700 hours on it. I am thinking the clutch plates have rusted up and need to be changed, i have not taken it apart yet. Anyone with this experience? B

Replies6
  1. #1pittsburgh cat man2025-12-10 17:17

    Do both levers feel about the same? I think the first thing I would do is check the steering clutch compartments for water are the brake pedals even with about 3 inches of free play

  2. #2Hollyrock2025-12-10 18:25

    Hey Yes both levers feel the same for sure. Did check the compartments as you say and did not see any water, a bit oil and greasey in there though. We did check the brake band adjustment for 3 inches of play and they were good. One thing the left brake pedal was back more than the right we could not make them even.

  3. #3pittsburgh cat man2025-12-10 18:53

    If I remember right there is a small cover on rear of case where you adjust brakes did you look in there and have someone work clutch and brake see if you can see the yoke and pressure plate move Seems funny that it will steer cold and not after running a while I'm thinking that machine doesn't have a hydraulic boost for clutches it has a spring boost If I'm remembering right on those machines the steering clutch and transmission top cover are one piece

  4. #4Hollyrock2025-12-10 19:05

    Hey Yes 2 small covers removed to adjust the brakes. I will check to see if the yoke and p plate moves. The trans and clutch cover are for sure two diferent covers. My brother has a D4C and he says too that when its warmed up it does not turn as well when first started.

  5. #5Hollyrock2026-01-12 15:19

    Found the issue too much oil on the brake drums for the brakes to hold properly. Seals on the drive shaft from the bevel gear are defective.

  6. #6Old Magnet2026-01-12 17:52

    Also check the final drive pinion seals.