Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Caterpillar D4H Oil Change Help

SimpleFarmer · 2018-03-15 16:56

It is time for my lightly used D4H Caterpillar to get an oil change. I have not done this before and began looking for a drain plug, but have not found it. Will I find this on the bottom or the side of the engine? Here's hoping I will not have to remove any skid plates to access the drain plug. I believe that it will take 4 gallons of oil. My area usually has temperatures from 32 to 110 degrees. I'm thinking 5w-30, but any suggestions on oil viscosity would be appreciated. Does anyone know the correct torque for the drain plugs? Also, let me know of any special tricks for performing the oil change on my dozer. Thanks. These are all the numbers that I have found. Caterpillar D4H Dozer 1986? Ser num. 8pb01884 45v66228 --------2431 Holt tag on back W/O. 0115330 S/N. 1CE0236p Caterpillar tag near seat D4H 3204DI*8PB01884 45V66228 1CE02431

Replies6
  1. #1SimpleFarmer2018-03-15 17:17

    Looking from the back to the front. Is the plug in the access hole? Surely it is not the 3/4” socket cap.

  2. #2918OkieCat2018-03-15 22:28

    That is the drain plug in the access hole!

  3. #3Bluox2018-03-16 07:10

    Buy yourself a Cat service manual has lots of this type info in it like use 15w-40 DEO for that temp. range. Bob

  4. #4Nige2018-03-16 10:26

    You can find a manual here ........... https://catpublications.com/Search $46 for a CD or a downloadable Adobe pdf file, $55 if you want a paper copy. You need document reference SEBU6013 which covers machines of 8PB S/N prefix from 1-3999.

  5. #5kshansen2018-03-16 10:31

    I guess the question I have is that plug in the oil pan of the engine? Hard to say just looking at a close up of a belly pan with access cover off. As Bluox says get a manual. Just a quick look on Ebay shows this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/CAT-Caterp...ntenance-Manual-shop-guide-book-/200707455771 OH! have you looked to see if there is one on the back of the operator's seat. Most Cat equipment have a compartment attached there with a manual inside, worth a look!

  6. #6kshansen2018-03-16 10:42

    And if you think $50.00 is a lot of money for a manual just run the numbers for 4 gallons of a good 15W-40 oil and an oil filter. Both of those you will be tossing out in a few hundred hours of time on the machine but the book will still be saving you time and money. And the first thing you should do when you get that manual is to read it cover to cover. You might be surprised at the things you will learn about your machine!