My trusty D7 1956 17a suddenly started to make uncomfortable noises from the gearbox. Had not been working her too hard ,just pushing heaps of brash into a bonfire pile when reversing away there was a clunk, not a real bad noise and then obviously something was not right. Noisier in first and second going forwards but no noise in reverse. I imagine that a bearing has collapsed on the forward reverse shaft, with pressure forcing it down on to the gear going forwards and relieving it going backwards. It is a moaning grinding sound as opposed to perhaps a broken tooth sound. Managed to return her to the yard without further incident. I need to remove the gearbox, which is reasonably clear in the manuals and on YouTube but there are a couple of things I am not clear about. It has no cab but do I need to remove the fuel tank and seat, and somebody mentioned that I need to take off the Hyster d7 winch but I cannot see how that would interfere Any more tips would be welcome from you guys. I has been the most wonderful machine since I bought it in 2000, perfect example a American knowhow!
It will be more easy to removed the transmission if the fuel tank is not there for removed the transmission top bolt and removed the center plate inspection for inline the shaft to the winch boushing
Thank you for that Hector. We assumed that the tank and seat should be removed but not sure what. you mean by " and removed the center plate inspection for inline the shaft to the winch boushing " Do I need to remove the winch?
The stering cluch housing have a inspection plate each side and 1 center plate and when you reinstaled the transmission you can inline easy the top shaft in the winch shaft sleeve and not need to removed the winch
Thank you again Hector. What do you think of my amateur analysis of what might have happened inside the gearbox? Is a collapsed bearing likely? Have you had any similar experiences?
I am sorry I made a mistake for the center plate it is the power booster place it was ALLIS CHALMER WITH CENTER PLATE AND I NEVER HAD PROBLEME WITH MY D7 TRANSMISSIONS BUT SHOULD BE A BEARING PROBLEME BUT COULD BE THE JOINT AND YOU COULD TOO ANGAGED THE MASTER CLUCH WITH THE TRANSMISSION IN NEUTRAL IF IT HAS NO CLUNK CLUCK
Thanks again Hector, I will report on my findings
The winch likely interferes because of the power takeoff to the winch. It extends to the gearbox through the final drive.
Thank the Starlink add for the double quote . I have not been this far into my D7 but have on a D47U with a D series and a D82U with whatever that had . There is a collar on those two that extends over the ends of the PTO and the winch input shafts , it is held there by a wire clip . The collar can be slid onto the winch shaft out of the way of the PTO by removing the clip . Its a very good idea to replace that clip as they wear out and break allowing the collar to slide along the shaft stopping drive of winch . Reason why the owner of the D8 had it open , he put a spot of weld both sides of the collar to stop it sliding which you want it to do . If it does slide you will not need to take the winch off . You will need to have the bevel gear housing lid off to set up the backlash after returning the transmission so no extra work .