Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Caterpillar D7G Slow steering fault

Pathull ยท 2013-11-14 17:27

I have a D7G here (65V05093) power shift dozer, in the last 200hrs it has had the transmission, torque convertor, steering clutches and brakes done and both final drives, it has slow steering, the steering clutches disengage straight away when the steering levers in the cab are pulled out to the first stage together the dozer comes to a stop straight away, I have pulled transmission back out to make sure transmission suction is sealed and not sucking air, replaced tranny pump, the dozer does some funny things like if you pull your steering lever out all the way while the dozer is in neutral the put the dozer in gear it will turn straight away, or if you pull the steering lever out fast it will turn better, but it is just slow to engage the brakes, I have pulled the sequence valve out and checked it, I haven't yet touched the steering clutch control valve, has anyone got any suggestions for slow steering in a d7g because I have done everything and it got me beat, so any suggestions would be good! cheers, :Banghead

Replies6
  1. #1Pathull2013-11-14 17:30

    also, thought I better add, it was steering fine after it was all rebuilt, but after about 100hrs it became slow

  2. #2Bluox2013-11-14 20:10

    Adjust the brakes Bob

  3. #3Pathull2013-11-15 05:42

    Brakes have been adjusted............

  4. #4oldirt2013-11-15 07:22

    sounds like the cross shaft seals leaking to me. usually it just wont steer at all, but this is a possibility.

  5. #5Pathull2013-11-15 12:20

    well that's what I thought, this was the original failure, the right side bearing collapsed, and it cut the seals out on the steering clutch pistons, the only reason I don't think that is the problem is the steering clutch pressures are spot on and the steering clutches are disengaging fine, I would have thought that if the steering clutch piston seals had failed or were leaking the first thing to stop working would be the steering clutches, last time when it failed we had slices of the white steering clutch seal end up in the transmission screen, at the moment the transmission screen is clean. we have also tilted the cab back over and pulled the cover off the bevel gear and transmission pinion and it looks fine, no movement, and all sitting level, bearings look good, (what you can see of them) this morning we are swaping the steering clutch control valve over with our other D7G just to test it, I know they don't often cause problems, but its worth a try, ill update tonight on how we go, we tilted the cab yesterday afternoon so it wont take long today....

  6. #6DPete2013-11-15 19:29

    Hmm, if the clutches are releasing then the brakes are not applying, does it turn if you press the brake pedal?