Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Caterpillar excavator 311 testing and adjusting procedures

Richo2012 · 2025-09-06 07:29

Hi Currently working on a Japanese grey import 311 with serial Ж5PK00382Ж Not having much luck sourcing info on testing and adjusting procedures for the main pumps ect here in Australia. Would anyone be able to assist with these documents? Thanks

Replies19
  1. #1Nige2025-09-06 09:06

    Your grey market 5PK-prefix 311 exacavator with a Serial Number under 1000 corresponds to a "World" model 9LJ-prefix machine with Serial Number under 261. Date-wise 9LJ00111 is not far away from 5PK00382. See the attached which may be of some use.

  2. #2Richo20122025-09-06 11:31

    Extremely helpful thanks Nige. Thanks for the serial number cross reference

  3. #3Nige2025-09-06 11:32

    To no-one's surprise we've been here before on grey market machines.,

  4. #4Richo20122025-09-06 11:42

    Yep not surprised. Have a 312b also I may need some paperwork on so I’ll remember this thread when the time comes

  5. #5Nige2025-09-06 11:49

    Got a Serial Number for the 312B.? I imagine 9HR or 3ES.

  6. #6Richo20122025-09-07 18:31

    Correct the 9hr X9HR93418X

  7. #7Nige2025-09-07 18:36

    Are you sure about the digits after the 9HR.? They look awful high to me. 03418 I could believe.

  8. #8Richo20122025-09-07 18:40

    Taken straight from the id plate

  9. #9Nige2025-09-08 04:03

    03418 is confirmed. That makes it much more believable than 93418. Built October 1998. I’ll have a look for the relevant crossover information.

  10. #10Richo20122025-09-08 05:03

    Thanks. Sorry didn’t notice it copied over as 9 and not a 0.

  11. #11Nige2025-09-08 05:51

    For a 9HR-prefix machine with Serial Number above 2932, which includes yours, the equivalent is a 2NS or 3FS-prefix machine. It would appear that 3FS00268 is about the nearest match, although that is a 312BL machine with the long undercarriage rather than a 312B. To be honest with that particular model you really need to get hold of a Parts Manual if you don't already have one. The Cat Publication reference is XJBP7635. It is in Japanese but from my experience you will have no difficulty understanding it.

  12. #12Simon C2025-09-08 09:45

    Hard to fool Nige as he figured a 9 got pushed instead of a 0. Glad he could help you. Simon C

  13. #13Richo20122025-09-19 05:48

    Hey Nige you may be able to help me further on the 311 You wouldn’t happen to have any pages from the diagnostic section in the manual relating to excessively fast hydraulics on all functions?

  14. #14Nige2025-09-19 07:41

    There is only what is in the Test & Adjust document I posted above. I can't even see any cycle time specifications. Have you measured the basics such as the main implement relief valve and pilot relief valve settings.?

  15. #15Richo20122026-01-22 22:04

    Hi nige Sorry time got away a little being Christmas period. I Have fixed a lot of faults on the old girl but Still having travel issues. Walks to fast in both low and high speed(can feel the speed shift slightly when selecting high and low speed however it is still to fast) will struggle to walk up inclines and turn the machine without assist of the bucket and slew. Main implement relief pressure for both front and rear pumps is set at 4000psi. Spec 4000psi +-72 Travel relief will only reach Around 2350psi on both left and right track. Spec is 5000psi +-72. Will not adjust on either new or old relief valve. Pilot is sitting at 550psi Pressure at both travel motor signal lines is 550psi. It will drop when off when selecting between rabbit and turtle modes, but it does not drop the pressure off to auto speed change when stalling either track as the systems not reaching the 4600psi required. Travel is the only function having issues Main relief has been replaced Confirmed 2 speed solenoid on pilot manifold works, correct voltage ect Confirmed centre joint not bypassing into case Getting a hose made currently to check if either drive motor is bleeding through the case drains, however the machine walks straight ect. Have you heard of the valving in both motors jamming? If so any tips to inspect and free up. I’ve probably missed listing things that have been checked. Any other recommendations on what to check? Any help appreciated thanks.

  16. #16Nige2026-01-23 09:44

    Can you elaborate a little more on how you did that, because if the symptoms were confined to the travel system with nothing else affected my first suspicion would be the swivel. TBH if you have any doubts whatsoever in your position I would pull it apart and reseal it. You may find something very interesting when you do.

  17. #17Richo20122026-01-23 10:51

    Thanks for the response Case drain from travel was removed and check for any oil bypassing back out of the centre joint. Do you have any other recommendations on testing it to confirm? Might be best just to get the owner to order seals and reseal it whilst we’re going. Machine spent many years parked up so seals have probably disintegrated. Thanks for your help

  18. #18Nige2026-01-23 10:58

    I may be wrong but I don’t think that is necessarily a good method to confirm internal leakage, or lack thereof. I would suggest to remove it and pull it apart first. There may be other factors in play here such as damage to the centre spindle that may require it to be rechromed as a result of water ingress from the top side, amongst others.

  19. #19Richo20122026-01-23 13:36

    Thanks Yep will revisit the centre joint when I’m there next.