Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Caterpillar IT38G 4th gear lock out?

Oldboy ยท 2016-12-12 04:36

Hello, I have just acquired an IT38G wheel loader/tool carrier. It drives and operates well. has about 16,000 hours on it. But I cannot get it to move into 4th gear. ( forward or reverse) Its strong in all other gears, and moves quite smoothly up and down. But rev it out in 3rd, click to 4th and it just stays in 3rd. I am wondering if it may have had a lock out set up for 4th as a safety precaution in its last life. If so how do you reverse this? thanks in advance.

Replies2
  1. #1Ben Witter2016-12-12 08:24

    Sorry wrong thread

  2. #2Nige2016-12-12 09:44

    I haven't had any experience of the IT38G specifically but looking at the Electrical Schematic and seeing the Part Number of the Powertrain ECM I suspect that the maximum gear is programmable. Usually there are 2 parameters in the transmission configuration, one for the forward direction, one for reverse. The major problem as far as you are concerned is that to change the programmable values requires the use of Cat ET software and a comms adapter.