I recently purchased my first skid steer, a Caterpillar model 242. I have tried to learn as much as possible before my purchase and have learned a great deal from this forum. Thank you so much to all who contribute their valuable time and knowledge to those of us who are new to this world. During my research I have seen several different skid steer model designation from Caterpillar. The model I have is designated as a 242 with no letters after the 242. The engine is a Perkins 3.0 liter without a turbo. It is a 4 cylinder diesel. I have seen this motor referred to as the CATERPILLAR model # 3034. The serial number is CMB01551. I have found the Operations and Maintenance manual and the parts manual from Caterpillar. My question is does anyone own or is anyone out there familiar with the model 242. All of the information I come across is for other model # skid steers. I see mention of model # 242b and many other numbers but nothing on the internet about the model #242. I am curious for parts interchange and the like if the model # 242 is the same as any of the other models more often mentioned on the internet and this forum. Thank you and have a great day.
Below is the list of all the 242 skid-steer models in no particular order. As you can see the latest model is the 242D3. The first model would often be referred to as a "242A", even though the A is not on the model decal, to avoid confusion with later models. AFAIK early models and B models are somewhat similar and maybe some parts might interchange. I would always recommend when looking for parts to work first with either the machine Serial Number or a Part Number from a Parts Manual that is appropriate to your machine S/N. All versions of the D are distinctly different from earlier models because instead of using pilot hydraulics to operate the implement and drive systems they use electronically-controlled proportional solenoid valves to control those functions.
Thank you very much Nige that is the exact information I was looking for!